London & c., accurately Surveyed, an accurate Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster and the Borough of Southwark, 1732
This is a later edition of the map of London first issued by Morden and Lea in 1681-82. Printed in 12 sheets, the map features title in banner along the top, portraits of King William and Queen Mary below the title, with the Royal and City arms. Reference tables, compass rose and scale bar at lower right. Along the top of the map are views of Westminster Abbey, the Banqueting Hall, Somerset House, the Mercers' Chapel, the Royal Exchange, Guild Hall and St Paul's Cathedral, with equestrian statues of Charles I and Charles II at top left and right respectively. The map shows Wigmore Street, Grosvenor Square and the Church of St Anne, Limehouse which did not feature in earlier editions of the map.
Morden, Robert and Lea, Philip
A New Map of the Cities of London and Westminster and Ye Borough of Southwarke with the Suburbs
Large map of London with prospect view of the City from Bankside in a strip above the main plan. Entitled "Prospect of London as it was flourishing before the destruction by fire", the view is based on Hollar's celebrated view of London from Bankside of 1647 and shows London from Worcester House (just west of the Savoy) on the west to Wapping and St Catherine's Docks to the east. The view shows London before the fire being composed almost exclusively of Gothic buildings, Inigo Jones’s Banqueting Hall at Whitehall and the classical restoration of St. Paul’s cathedral being the only examples of Renaissance architecture. The map, with title in cartouche, reference tables at top right and top left and scale bar at bottom centre, is a very minute bird's eye view of the cities of London and Westminster, the borough of Southwark and the suburbs showing London after the fire growing in area faster than ever before. Stepney Church, for example, marks a new point of growth east of the city.
London &c., accurately surveyed by Wm Morgan, His Majesty Cosmographer
This is a later edition of the map of London and the built up area around it first issued by Morgan in 1681-82. The title of the map is missing. Also missing are the views of the equestrian statues of Charles I and II, prominent buildings and prospect of the City that accompanied the map. The map features scale bar and compass rose near bottom centre and reference tables with key to buildings in London, Westminster and Southwark along the bottom. Down the left is a list of officers of State and dignitaries and down the right is a list of City companies, Irish nobility and the clergy.
A New Map of the Cities of London and Westminster and Ye Borough of Southwarke with their Suburbs
This is a later edition of Hollar's map of London of 1675 without the prospect view of the City entitled "Prospect of London as it was flourishing before the destruction by fire" that featured in the first edition. The map, with title in cartouche, reference tables and scale bar, is a very minute bird’s eye view of the cities of London and Westminster, with the Borough of Southwark and suburbs showing London after the fire growing in area faster than ever before, with former satellite villages fast becoming mere localities in the urban sprawl. Stepney church, for example, marks a new point of growth east of the city.
THIS ACTUAL SURVEY OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK IS HUMBLY DEDICATED TO Ye LD MAYOR & COURT OF ALDERMEN
This map is a reissue of a 1690 plan. It features the title in a banner along the top with a compass rose and the city arms. The key to public offices, wards, parishes, halls and companies appear in tables at the bottom and lower right. Prominent buildings shown in elevation. This updated edition includes the Cavendish Square development, which began in 1717. Covens& Mortier was a successful publishing business, including in its output re-issues of general atlases by Jaillot, Delisle, Vichsscher and de Wit, whose stock they had acquired.
Covens, Jean & Mortier, Corneille
A Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster, the Borough of Southwark, and the contiguous Buildings..
This map of London in eight sheets is enclosed by a decorative border and features title along the top, with scale bars, reference table and advertisement along the bottom. The advertisement states that the map is bases on Rocque's map of 1747, with the addition of all the new buildings, Westminster Bridge and the approach roads to the bridge.
A New & Exact Plan of the Cities of London, & c.
Map of London with title along the top, arms of the 12 principal livery companies at top left with City arms and emblems of the arts. Lists of wards and parishes are reported in a table at bottom left and a descriptive note near bottom centre, with fares of coaches and ferries at bottom right. Down both sides of the map are views of prominent buildings: St Paul's Cathedral, the Banqueting House, the Royal Exchange, Custom House, the Admirably Office, the Royal Palace at St James', Westminster Abbey, Guildhall, the Bank of England, the Tower of London, the Treasury and South Sea House.
This Actuale Survey of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK IS HUMBLY DEDICATED TO Y.e L.D LORD MAYOR & COURT OF ALDERMEN
This later edition of Morden and Lea's 1688 map was published by Covens & Mortier in Amsterdam in 1725. The title appears in English and French in a ribbon along the top. The key to churches, city wards, palaces, halls and companies features in a reference table at the foot of the plate. Jean Covens and Corneil Mortier founded the prestigious printing and publishing house that bears their names in Amsterdam in 1721. Over the years they published wall maps of countries and continents, reissuing many maps, town plans and general atlases by the likes of De Wit, Jaillot and De Lisle. Their heirs continued the business until the 1880s.
Morden, Robert & Lea, Philip
PLAN DE LA VILLE DE LONDRES
This small map of London appeared in a book entitled "Memoires et Observations faites par un Voyageur en Angleterre", published in France by Henry Van Bulderen in 1698. The map is a much-reduced derivative of Joannes de Ram's plan of 1690. This edition features title at top left, city arms at top right and a panorama of London, based on Matthaeus Merian’s view of the city, in a panel below the plan.
Ram, Joannes de
LONDINI ANGLIAE REGNI METROPOLIS 71
This map of London, Westminster and Southwark was issued in Peter Van der Aa's "La Galerie Agreable du Monde: Grande Bretagne et Irlande" (Vol. I, Plate 8). It is a later edition of a map first published in Amsterdam byJoannes de Ram at the end of the 17th Century. This edition features title along the top, a key to places in Southwark in cartouche at top left, a reference table at top right, and a bird's-eye view of Westwood Park in Worcestershire at the foot of the plate. The city arms, publisher's imprint, and a monument bearing the title in French appear towards the bottom of the sheet.
Aa, Peter van der
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year
This map of Georgian London was published in John Entick's 1766'A New and Accurate History and Survey of London, Westminster and Southwark.' The title of the map appears in a panel below the plan along with the rates of hackney coaches and water ferries. It extends eastward to include Limehouse, then one of the main centres for shipbuilding in the capital.
LONDINI ANGLIAE REGNI METROPOLIS 70
The title of this map of London, Westminster and Southwark appears along the top. Figures of cherubs are depicted at top left facing the reference table at top right. The royal and city arms are illustrated at the foot of the plate, with a key to places in Southwark and compass rose at lower left, facing the portraits of King William III and Queen Mary at bottom right. The panorama of the city which features in the panel below the plan is based on Matthaeus Merian’s view published in "Theatrum Europeum" in 1720. Joannes de Ram had already published an identical map of the city. His name was removed from the plan when French mapmaker, engraver and publisher Jacques de la Feuille married de Ram’s widow and took over his publishing business.
Feuille, Jacques de la
A New and Exact Plan of Ye City of LONDON and suburbs thereof, 1731 92
Map of London featuring title in semi-elliptical cartouche at top left, arms of the 12greatcity companies around the arms of the city at bottom left and explanatory note and compass star at bottom centre. The map is divided in squares with letters along the borders for reference. Reference tables feature down both sides of the map. Ward boundaries within the city and parish boundaries outside the city are highlighted in colour. The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral and other prominent buildings are represented pictorially. This is a later edition of the map first issued by Bowles in 1719, extended to the east to include Stepney and the Isle of Dogs.
This Actuall Survey Of LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK Is humbly Dedicated To Y.e L.d M.Yor & Court Of Aldermen by R.o: Morden, Phil: Lea Chr: Browne
This is a later edition of a very popular map of London first published by Morden and Lea in 1690. The map's title features along the top, with the city arms at top left, facing the publisher's imprint in shield at top right. The reference tables, scale bar and compass rose appear at lower right. The plan marks the city's growth in the late Stuart period, showing its northward spread towards Islington.
Morden, Robert & Lea, Philip
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood.
This magnificent map covers 32 sheets, each measuring 21" 5/8 x 19" 3/4. It was published sheet by sheet between 1792 and99 and was the work of several engravers under the direction of cartographer Richard Horwood. It is generally considered to be the most important London map of the 18th century. Horwood intended originally to show every house and its number but this was to prove impossible. Although every house is included the numbering was never completed. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. The map is coloured, describing parks in green and the London Wall in red. The Tower of London is shown only by outline; Horwood records that: 'The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey’, evidence that a surveyor was not always welcome. Southwark was traditionally a district where the industries of brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the main city, were located. Barclay Perkins & Cos., which in the coming century was to become the largest brewery in the world, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital ("for incurables") which at had recently been extended to include a new hospital for the psychiatrically disturbed. This map was reissued at least four times, with relevant additions and alterations, up until 1819.
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood
Map of London printed in 32 sheets and published sheet by sheet between 1792 and 1799, the work of several engravers working to the direction of the cartographer Richard Horwood. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. This edition features a Phoenix at top left with the word "protection" emblazoned beneath it and is uncoloured in its entirety. The Tower of London is shown only by outline, as Horwood records that "The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey", testimony that a surveyor was not always welcome. Industries such as brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the city, are located south of the river in Southwark. Barclay Perkins & Co., the largest brewery in the world during the 1800s, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital (for incurables). At the time of this map, the hospital had recently been extended to include a new ward for "lunatics". This map was re-issued, with additions and alterations, at least four times until 1819.
LONDON extending from the HEAD of the PADDINGTON CANAL West to the WEST INDIA DOCKS EAST with the proposed improvements between the Royal exchange and Finsbury Square
As the19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations in general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This small map was published in David Hugson's' London, being an accurate history & description of the British Metropolis'. The map is divided into reference squares, featuring the title at top right, scale bar at the top left and a key in the table below the plan.
Urbium Londini et West-Monasterii nec non suburbii Southwark accurata ichnographia : in qua viae publicae omnes et singulae, plateae majores et minores, vici, angiporti, porticulae etc. una cum accessionibus aedificiorum, quibus urbs usque ad a. 1736, novissime locupletata est, reprasentantur : ad norman prototypi Londinensis edita curris Hommannianorum Heredum C.P.S.C.M
1 : 5280
Homann Erben (Firm)