PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER with the Borough of SOUTHWARK Being an INDEX to the Large Plan in forty Sheets
This folding map of London was originally published by Faden in 1818 as an index to Harwood's famous map of Regency London. This is a later edition of the map, issued by Wyld when he took over Faden's publishing business. The title, explanation and scale bar feature at top right. The boundaries of London, Westminster, Southwark, Lambeth, Marylebone, Finsbury and Tower Hamlets are outlined in colour. The map is divided into squares with letters and numbers for reference along the margins for reference, with an interpretive key in panel below the plan.
ROWE'S PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, exhibiting the various IMPROVEMENTS, to the Year 1804 with the LONDON and WEST INDIA DOCKS
The title of this map appears along the top, with the table of reference in a panel below the plan and scale bar at bottom right. The map is divided into rectangles for reference and shows the newly built London and West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. Designed by William Jessop, the docks were completed in 1802 allowing West India Company merchants to discharge their ships in four days instead of the usual four weeks.
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER
The title of this map appears near the top right in a vignette depicting Father Thames, with compass rose at bottom right, scale bar at bottom centre, and an alphabetical list of streets in the table below the plan. Roads, open spaces and the built-up area within the city are depicted in colour. The boundaries of the 'Liberty’ of the Tower of London is similarly depicted in colour ('Liberty', in this sense, means an area of separate jurisdiction to the rest of the city). Finally, the map extends eastward to include the Isle of Dogs and the docks, which were then under construction.
CROSS'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON 1828
The title of this folding map is inset in the top border, with the publisher's imprint and explanatory notes in the bottom border and a list of parishes in a table at top right. The map is divided into half-mile squares for reference, with the river, open spaces and the boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark highlighted in different colours.
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton.
Davies, Benjamin Rees
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON AND WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent 221
The title of this folding map of London runs along the top, with a list of public buildings at top left, facing a list of churches at top right. Open spaces and the city boundaries are drawn in colour, withal reference table in the panel below the plan. John Cary, who first published this map in 1787, added a sheet to this later edition to include the Lea River, the Isle of Dogs and the new docks. The map also shows the Asylum for the Blind in St. George's Fields and the Penitentiary at Millbank.
PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON and WESTMINSTER, with the BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK, exhibiting all the NEW BUILDINGS to the present YEAR MDCCCVI
As the 19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations for general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This map appeared in Lambert's 'History of London' of 1806. The title appears along the top with the reference table in a panel below the map. The plan extends eastward to include the East India Docks, opened in 1806.
CRUCHLEY'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON IMPROVED TO 1826 INCLUDING THE EAST AND WEST INDIA DOCKS 223
The title of this folding map of London is inset in top border, with the publisher’s imprint and key to symbols in bottom border, scale bar near bottom right, and compass rose at top right. The river and open spaces are highlighted in colour. The map extends eastward on an added sheet to include the East and West India Docks. Cruchley, who first published the map in 1826, added the proposed Collier Docks in the Isle of Dogs to this later edition. The docks were never built and Millwall Docks now occupy part of the site
Cruchley, George Frederick
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER 1795
This is the second edition of a map published seven times until 1806. The title is embellished with an engraving of Father Thames, with St Paul's visible in the distance to one side of him. This edition includes an inset plan of the proposed Wet Docks. In 1796, the year this map was published, a Parliamentary Committee attempted to resolve the docking problems such as congestion, delays, lack of warehouse space and theft. The result was a number of project proposals for the building of new docks. However, none of these proposals were carried out, and the problem was not solved until private companies began building enclosed docks in 1802.
PLAN of LONDON
Only the main roads appear on this map, giving the appearance of a rather spacious capital city. The new London Bridge is shown without its approaches. Pecked lines show the intended location of the Thames Tunnel. Marc Brunel, father of the great engineer Isobard, solved the problem of how to bore through soft ground or under water, inventing the tunnelling shield. Both father and son worked on the tunnel which was completed as a foot tunnel in 1843, before becoming a railway tunnel for the East London Railway in the 1860s. The East and West India Docks are also shown.
PIGOT & Co New Plan of London Taken from the Best Authorities
The title and publisher's imprint of this map appear at the top right, facing an explanatory note at top left. Squares, open spaces and the built-up area in the city are delineated in colour. A key to colours is provided at the bottom left. Published in Pigot's 'Metropolis Guide and Book of Reference', the map is divided into circles numbered for reference, showing Waterloo, Vauxhall and Battersea Bridges.