LONDON extending from the HEAD of the PADDINGTON CANAL West to the WEST INDIA DOCKS EAST with the proposed improvements between the Royal exchange and Finsbury Square
As the19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations in general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This small map was published in David Hugson's' London, being an accurate history & description of the British Metropolis'. The map is divided into reference squares, featuring the title at top right, scale bar at the top left and a key in the table below the plan. Stratford, James
London surveyed or a new map of the cities of London and Westminster and the borough of Southwark. ...
from The world described, or, A new and correct sett of maps : shewing the kingdoms and states in all the known parts of the earth, with the principal cities, and most considerable towns in the world ... / ... by Herman Moll, geographer ...
A PLAN of LONDON with the MODERN IMPROVEMENTS
This map is a later edition one first issued by Phillips at the beginning of the 19th Century, re-engraved by Neele with the addition of plans for the London Docks at Wapping. Daniel Alexander’s original design for this area comprised the 20-acre St. George’s Dock, to the west, and the seven-acre Shadwell Dock, to the east. Each would have its own basin, and be linked by a small Tobacco Dock. When opened in 1805the London Docks were the nearest to the city and for 21 years all shipments of tobacco, rice, wine and brandy (except those from the East and West Indies) had to unload there. Phillips, Richard
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood.
This magnificent map covers 32 sheets, each measuring 21" 5/8 x 19" 3/4. It was published sheet by sheet between 1792 and99 and was the work of several engravers under the direction of cartographer Richard Horwood. It is generally considered to be the most important London map of the 18th century. Horwood intended originally to show every house and its number but this was to prove impossible. Although every house is included the numbering was never completed. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. The map is coloured, describing parks in green and the London Wall in red. The Tower of London is shown only by outline; Horwood records that: 'The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey’, evidence that a surveyor was not always welcome. Southwark was traditionally a district where the industries of brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the main city, were located. Barclay Perkins & Cos., which in the coming century was to become the largest brewery in the world, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital ("for incurables") which at had recently been extended to include a new hospital for the psychiatrically disturbed. This map was reissued at least four times, with relevant additions and alterations, up until 1819. Horwood, Richard
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament. Wyld, James
SMITH'S New Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK: comprehending all the New Buildings and 350 References to the Principal Streets
First published by Smith in 1801, this popular map of London went into 27 editions, the last being issued in 1843. The title features along the top, with roads, open spaces, watercourses and the built-up area of the city delineated in colour. A reference table appears in the panel below the plan. Smith, Charles
A NEW POCKET PLAN OF THE CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK
This folding map of London is the eighth edition of a map first published by Faden in 1787. It features title at top left, table of parishes next to the title, and scale bar at bottom right. At bottom centre is a list of Surrey parishes within the Bill of Mortality - the name given to the areas from which the London government received regular death notices. The border of the map is divided in miles and furlongs. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the administration of London was split among a multitude of authorities, vestries, special commissions and private enterprises. The nine districts in London are distinguished on the map by areas of different colour, with key to colours and explanation of the relevant civil and military authorities in handwritten notes down both sides of the map. Faden, William
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood
Map of London printed in 32 sheets and published sheet by sheet between 1792 and 1799, the work of several engravers working to the direction of the cartographer Richard Horwood. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. This edition features a Phoenix at top left with the word "protection" emblazoned beneath it and is uncoloured in its entirety. The Tower of London is shown only by outline, as Horwood records that "The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey", testimony that a surveyor was not always welcome. Industries such as brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the city, are located south of the river in Southwark. Barclay Perkins & Co., the largest brewery in the world during the 1800s, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital (for incurables). At the time of this map, the hospital had recently been extended to include a new ward for "lunatics". This map was re-issued, with additions and alterations, at least four times until 1819. Horwood, Richard
TEGG'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON, &c. WITH 360 REFERENCES TO THE PRINCIPAL STREETS &c.
The title of this folding map of London appears along the top. The city boundaries, open spaces, roads and watercourses are depicted in colour in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued by Tegg in 1823. It is divided into rectangles for reference, with a street index in panel below the plan. Tegg, Thomas
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields. Jeffrey, Thomas
A New and Exact Plan of Ye City of LONDON and suburbs thereof, 1731 92
Map of London featuring title in semi-elliptical cartouche at top left, arms of the 12greatcity companies around the arms of the city at bottom left and explanatory note and compass star at bottom centre. The map is divided in squares with letters along the borders for reference. Reference tables feature down both sides of the map. Ward boundaries within the city and parish boundaries outside the city are highlighted in colour. The Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral and other prominent buildings are represented pictorially. This is a later edition of the map first issued by Bowles in 1719, extended to the east to include Stepney and the Isle of Dogs. Bowles, Thomas
A PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER with the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK
The border of this folding map is divided in degrees of latitude and longitude with a scale bar at bottom right. The title of the map is in a panel below the plan with the arms of the City, flanked by the arms of Westminster (left) and Bridge House (right). Bridge House was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all bridges within the City of London. A freeman with the Clothworkers Company, William Faden became Jeffrey's business partner in the 1770s, taking control of the publishing and printing businesson Jeffrey's death. Jeffrey, Thomas & Faden, William
LONDON WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
The title of this small map runs along the top, with the imprint and scale bar below the plan. The map shows Waterloo Bridge, or Strand Bridge, with the proposed southern approach indicated by a dotted line. Designed by John Rennie, Waterloo Bridge was constructed by a commercial company hoping to profit from toll-paying traffic. The bridge cost 1m and was never profitable. The bridge was demolished and replaced controversially in 1936. Luffman, John
The LONDON Guide or A Pocket Plan of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and borough of SOUTHWARK for the Universal Scots ALMANACK, with the New Buildings 1781.
This is a map from the Universal Scots Almanack. The area of the city is left white in comparison to the surrounding area, providing us with a rough outline of where the old London wall enclosed the city. By 1781, the date of this map, this Roman wall had been entirely demolished or built over. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1. Newgate was the last to be demolished, surviving until 1777. UNIVERSAL SCOTS ALMANACK
CARY's New POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK; with all the adjacent buildings in ST. GEORGE'S FIELDS &c.&c.
Pocket plans were made popular by the Bowles companying the 1730s, and had an enduring appeal. This plan, engraved by the prolific John Cary, was published 18 times. This is the first edition. It includes a list of the receiving houses appointed by the General and Penny Post Offices and a table of Hackney coach fares. The postal service in London was largely developed by William Dockwra, who responded to the demand for local letter delivery in London: non-existent until 1680, except by private messenger. Dockwra opened nearly 500 receiving houses where letters were sorted for delivering, costing the user one penny. So successful was this system that it was taken over by the General Post Office after two years. Cary, John
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James