PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood.
This magnificent map covers 32 sheets, each measuring 21" 5/8 x 19" 3/4. It was published sheet by sheet between 1792 and99 and was the work of several engravers under the direction of cartographer Richard Horwood. It is generally considered to be the most important London map of the 18th century. Horwood intended originally to show every house and its number but this was to prove impossible. Although every house is included the numbering was never completed. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. The map is coloured, describing parks in green and the London Wall in red. The Tower of London is shown only by outline; Horwood records that: 'The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey’, evidence that a surveyor was not always welcome. Southwark was traditionally a district where the industries of brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the main city, were located. Barclay Perkins & Cos., which in the coming century was to become the largest brewery in the world, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital ("for incurables") which at had recently been extended to include a new hospital for the psychiatrically disturbed. This map was reissued at least four times, with relevant additions and alterations, up until 1819.
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood
Map of London printed in 32 sheets and published sheet by sheet between 1792 and 1799, the work of several engravers working to the direction of the cartographer Richard Horwood. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. This edition features a Phoenix at top left with the word "protection" emblazoned beneath it and is uncoloured in its entirety. The Tower of London is shown only by outline, as Horwood records that "The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey", testimony that a surveyor was not always welcome. Industries such as brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the city, are located south of the river in Southwark. Barclay Perkins & Co., the largest brewery in the world during the 1800s, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital (for incurables). At the time of this map, the hospital had recently been extended to include a new ward for "lunatics". This map was re-issued, with additions and alterations, at least four times until 1819.
TEGG'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON, &c. WITH 360 REFERENCES TO THE PRINCIPAL STREETS &c.
The title of this folding map of London appears along the top. The city boundaries, open spaces, roads and watercourses are depicted in colour in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued by Tegg in 1823. It is divided into rectangles for reference, with a street index in panel below the plan.
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER 1795
This is the second edition of a map published seven times until 1806. The title is embellished with an engraving of Father Thames, with St Paul's visible in the distance to one side of him. This edition includes an inset plan of the proposed Wet Docks. In 1796, the year this map was published, a Parliamentary Committee attempted to resolve the docking problems such as congestion, delays, lack of warehouse space and theft. The result was a number of project proposals for the building of new docks. However, none of these proposals were carried out, and the problem was not solved until private companies began building enclosed docks in 1802.
SMITH'S New Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK: comprehending all the New Buildings and 350 References to the Principal Streets
First published by Smith in 1801, this popular map of London went into 27 editions, the last being issued in 1843. The title features along the top, with roads, open spaces, watercourses and the built-up area of the city delineated in colour. A reference table appears in the panel below the plan.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK 185
The title of this map appears at top right, with a compass rose and scale bar at bottom right. Below the plan is a list of public offices, with a special section dedicated to those at Somerset House. Designed by William Chambers, Somerset House was built in stages between 1771 and 1835, the first large block ever built to accommodate government offices. Over the years it has housed the Royal Navy, the Stamp Office, Hackney Coaches and Barge Master, the General Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages and the Inland Revenue.
Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
NEW PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
This is a later edition of the map of London, Westminster and Southwark first issued by Gardner in 1827. The map is enclosed in a border and features title along the top, key and scale bar along the bottom, with borough boundaries, open spaces and water courses and main roads in colour. Additions to earlier editions of the map include the Great Western, London and Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall and Croydon railways.
STRANGER'S GUIDE THROUGH the Streets of LONDON and WESTMINSTER
The title of this folding map appears along the top, with the sub-title in an oval at top right. A scale bar and compass star feature at the bottom right. An inset plan of Fleet Prison is included at top left. Squares, open spaces and built-up areas are all delineated in colour. Intended for visitors to the city, the map is divided into squares, with a quick-reference key in the panel below the main plan.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 222
The title of this map appears in a table inset in the top border, with publisher's imprint, scale bar and an explanation of the boundary lines at bottom right. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century. During the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 236
The title of this map of London appears inset in the top border, with the publisher’s imprint below the plan. Open spaces, city boundaries and boroughs are delineated in colour. The key to these colours is provided, with a scale bar, at bottom right. The map is a later edition of a map first published by Wyld in 1824, with the addition of the London-to-Greenwich railway. The line reached Bermondsey from Greenwich in 1836. Ten months later, the line reached London Bridge, making it the first railway terminus in the capital.
CROSS'S LONDON GUIDE
This is the second edition of Cross's London Guide, originally published in 1837 and issued four times. The cover title of this edition is 'CROSS'S POCKET PLAN OF LONDON AND STREET DIRECTORY 1844'. Its principal interest lies in its detailing of the expansion of the railways. London's first railway was opened in 1836, running between Bermondsey and Deptford, reducing the average travelling time from an hour to eight minutes. This line was extended to Greenwich and London Bridge, with the extension recorded on the map. By 1841 there were six terminal stations in London, with railways linking London with Birmingham and Southampton. These terminals were set at a distance from the centre of the city, due to fears of street congestion. This map shows the Great Western, Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall, Southampton and Croydon railways. The intended position of Hungerford Bridge is also shown.
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 238
This map is set within a decorative border. Its title appears along the top, with the arms of the city, the royal family and Westminster. Around the margin are pictorial views of prominent buildings and landmarks, including the Bank of England, Lambeth Palace, Covent Garden and Waterloo Bridge. The map is a later edition of one first issued as a free supplement of the 'United Kingdom' newspaper in 1832, adding the Greenwich and Birmingham railway lines.
CRUCHLEY'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON IMPROVED TO 1826 INCLUDING THE EAST AND WEST INDIA DOCKS 223
The title of this folding map of London is inset in top border, with the publisher’s imprint and key to symbols in bottom border, scale bar near bottom right, and compass rose at top right. The river and open spaces are highlighted in colour. The map extends eastward on an added sheet to include the East and West India Docks. Cruchley, who first published the map in 1826, added the proposed Collier Docks in the Isle of Dogs to this later edition. The docks were never built and Millwall Docks now occupy part of the site
Cruchley, George Frederick
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 243
This is a later edition of Shury's map of London first issued in 1832. The map features title along the top with the arms of the cities of London and Westminster. Down both sides of the map and along the bottom are 33 views of London buildings and landmarks. The East India House, Custom House, the Mint, St James's Palace, Christ's Hospital, the new Post Office, the bank of England, Hanover Terrace, the Corn Exchange and the Coliseum are depicted down the left side of the plate. Along the bottom are views of St Katherine's Chapel, Caledonian Church, mansion House, the Royal Exchange, Temple Bar, Guild Hall, Buckingham Palace, St Paul's Cathedral, the Monument, St Bride's Church, Lambeth Palace, Westminster Abbey and the entrance to Green Park. Down the right side of the plate are views of the House of Lords, London Bridge, the House of Commons, Waterloo Bridge, Drury Lane Theatre, Horse Guard, the King's College, Covent Garden Theatre, Somerset House and Gloucester Terrace.