LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK, Accurately delineated from the latest Surveys,
John Cary was possibly the most productive maker and publisher of maps in England the 18 Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each new edition by including new developments. This is the second edition of a map originally published in 1782. The imprint and table of Hackney coach fares (referred to in the description) has been removed from the bottom of the map.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON with the Names of the Streets Alphabetically arranged at Bottom with directions to find them in the Map
The title of this map appears along the top and with the river, city boundaries and open spaces depicted in different colours. The map is divided into numbered squares for reference, with a key in the table below the plan. Samuel Fores, better known as a publisher of sporting prints, first issued this map in 1789; this is a later edition, updated to include the housing developments of Sommers Town and St. George's Field.
Fores, Samuel W.
The LONDON Guide or A Pocket Plan of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and borough of SOUTHWARK for the Universal Scots ALMANACK, with the New Buildings 1781.
This is a map from the Universal Scots Almanack. The area of the city is left white in comparison to the surrounding area, providing us with a rough outline of where the old London wall enclosed the city. By 1781, the date of this map, this Roman wall had been entirely demolished or built over. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1. Newgate was the last to be demolished, surviving until 1777.
UNIVERSAL SCOTS ALMANACK
A PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER with the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK
The border of this folding map is divided in degrees of latitude and longitude with a scale bar at bottom right. The title of the map is in a panel below the plan with the arms of the City, flanked by the arms of Westminster (left) and Bridge House (right). Bridge House was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all bridges within the City of London. A freeman with the Clothworkers Company, William Faden became Jeffrey's business partner in the 1770s, taking control of the publishing and printing businesson Jeffrey's death.
Jeffrey, Thomas & Faden, William
CARY's New POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK; with all the adjacent buildings in ST. GEORGE'S FIELDS &c.&c.
Pocket plans were made popular by the Bowles companying the 1730s, and had an enduring appeal. This plan, engraved by the prolific John Cary, was published 18 times. This is the first edition. It includes a list of the receiving houses appointed by the General and Penny Post Offices and a table of Hackney coach fares. The postal service in London was largely developed by William Dockwra, who responded to the demand for local letter delivery in London: non-existent until 1680, except by private messenger. Dockwra opened nearly 500 receiving houses where letters were sorted for delivering, costing the user one penny. So successful was this system that it was taken over by the General Post Office after two years.
HARRIS'S PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, with all the additional Streets, Squares &c; also the improved ROADS to the Year 1791.
This is the sixth edition of an original 1779map. Differences between this edition and the previous one suggest that the plate was re-engraved, at least in part, as new and proposed buildings have been added. Most strikingly, 20 proposed locations for fire stations are depicted, along with their catchment areas. The Metropolitan Fire Brigade was not formed until 1865. A number of different company brigades had co-operated with each other as the London Fire Engine Establishment since 1833. The failure of this service to stop the destruction of the Houses of Parliament in 1837led to criticism, increasing when a fire in Tooley Street raged for two days.
HARRIS'S PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, with all the additional Streets, Squares &c; also the improved ROADS to the Year 1794.
This map is the seventh edition of an original plan of1779. Differences between the fifth and sixth edition five suggest that the plate was re-engraved, at least in parts, as additional buildings appear in the sixth edition, dating from 1791.This edition claims to show London as it was in 1794, although no discernible features distinguish it from the previous edition. An alphanumeric table of references and a grid of half-mile squares aids orientation. A small diagram in the bottom right corner instructs the user on how to use the grid. The bottom margin has been trimmed away, removing the print seller's imprint.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK;
The title of this map appears along the top, with a key in panel below the plan and letters along the borders for reference. Sayer's maps of London, largely derivative, were issued with few alterations throughout the middle years of the 18th Century. This is a later edition of a map he first published in 1765, updated to include the approaches to Blackfriars Bridge, which did not feature in the first edition.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON,
Robert Sayer, the surveyor, traded as a map publisher and print seller in Fleet Street in the latter half of the 18th Century. Between 1751 and 1770and againfrom1784to 1794, he published maps under his own name or under the imprint of Sayer and Bennett. This is the 11th edition of a map published 14 times over a period of 27 years. During this time Robert Sayer became joined in partnership with John Bennett, with their joint imprint appearing on the third to eighth editions. The area of the city is highlighted in pink. A table of references for churches and public buildings appears below the map. In 1794 Sayers stock was acquired by Robert Laurie who founded the map publishing firm of Laurie & Whittle, with his friend James Whittle.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK; 152
Robert Laurie was a fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s. He acquired the stock of surveyor John Sayer’s in 1794 and, in partnership with James Whittle, founded the map publishing firm Laurie & Whittle. This map is very similar to the 1765 map by Robert Sayer and is probably from the same plate. Blackfriars Bridge is shown along with its proposed approaches.
Laurie, Robert, and Whittle, James.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK; 182
This map is a reissue of a map published in 1771 by John Bowles. Bowles's name has been replaced by that of Robert Wilkinson, the reissuer. A table of references to churches and public buildings appears below the map. The built-up area of the city is stippled, with other built-up areas done in crosshatching. Coloured lines delineate individual city wards.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK
This is the fifth edition of a map originally published in 1771 by John Bowles. His name has been replaced by the imprint of Robert Wilkinson, the reissuer. This map highlights the London Wall in red, and colours the city in pink. It uses arrows to show the direction of water-flow in the Thames. There are some additions to the map near Foundling Hospital.
STRANGER'S GUIDE THROUGH the Streets of LONDON and WESTMINSTER
The title of this folding map appears along the top, with the sub-title in an oval at top right. A scale bar and compass star feature at the bottom right. An inset plan of Fleet Prison is included at top left. Squares, open spaces and built-up areas are all delineated in colour. Intended for visitors to the city, the map is divided into squares, with a quick-reference key in the panel below the main plan.