A PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER with the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK
The border of this folding map is divided in degrees of latitude and longitude with a scale bar at bottom right. The title of the map is in a panel below the plan with the arms of the City, flanked by the arms of Westminster (left) and Bridge House (right). Bridge House was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all bridges within the City of London. A freeman with the Clothworkers Company, William Faden became Jeffrey's business partner in the 1770s, taking control of the publishing and printing businesson Jeffrey's death. Jeffrey, Thomas & Faden, William
The LONDON Guide or A Pocket Plan of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and borough of SOUTHWARK for the Universal Scots ALMANACK, with the New Buildings 1781.
This is a map from the Universal Scots Almanack. The area of the city is left white in comparison to the surrounding area, providing us with a rough outline of where the old London wall enclosed the city. By 1781, the date of this map, this Roman wall had been entirely demolished or built over. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1. Newgate was the last to be demolished, surviving until 1777. UNIVERSAL SCOTS ALMANACK
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON with the Names of the Streets Alphabetically arranged at Bottom with directions to find them in the Map
The title of this map appears along the top and with the river, city boundaries and open spaces depicted in different colours. The map is divided into numbered squares for reference, with a key in the table below the plan. Samuel Fores, better known as a publisher of sporting prints, first issued this map in 1789; this is a later edition, updated to include the housing developments of Sommers Town and St. George's Field. Fores, Samuel W.
CARY's New POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK; with all the adjacent buildings in ST. GEORGE'S FIELDS &c.&c.
Pocket plans were made popular by the Bowles companying the 1730s, and had an enduring appeal. This plan, engraved by the prolific John Cary, was published 18 times. This is the first edition. It includes a list of the receiving houses appointed by the General and Penny Post Offices and a table of Hackney coach fares. The postal service in London was largely developed by William Dockwra, who responded to the demand for local letter delivery in London: non-existent until 1680, except by private messenger. Dockwra opened nearly 500 receiving houses where letters were sorted for delivering, costing the user one penny. So successful was this system that it was taken over by the General Post Office after two years. Cary, John
LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK, Accurately delineated from the latest Surveys,
John Cary was possibly the most productive maker and publisher of maps in England the 18 Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each new edition by including new developments. This is the second edition of a map originally published in 1782. The imprint and table of Hackney coach fares (referred to in the description) has been removed from the bottom of the map. Cary, John
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 236
The title of this map of London appears inset in the top border, with the publisher’s imprint below the plan. Open spaces, city boundaries and boroughs are delineated in colour. The key to these colours is provided, with a scale bar, at bottom right. The map is a later edition of a map first published by Wyld in 1824, with the addition of the London-to-Greenwich railway. The line reached Bermondsey from Greenwich in 1836. Ten months later, the line reached London Bridge, making it the first railway terminus in the capital. Wyld, James
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 222
The title of this map appears in a table inset in the top border, with publisher's imprint, scale bar and an explanation of the boundary lines at bottom right. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century. During the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament. Wyld, James
SMITH'S New Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK: comprehending all the New Buildings and 350 References to the Principal Streets
First published by Smith in 1801, this popular map of London went into 27 editions, the last being issued in 1843. The title features along the top, with roads, open spaces, watercourses and the built-up area of the city delineated in colour. A reference table appears in the panel below the plan. Smith, Charles
HARRIS'S PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, with all the additional Streets, Squares &c; also the improved ROADS to the Year 1791.
This is the sixth edition of an original 1779map. Differences between this edition and the previous one suggest that the plate was re-engraved, at least in part, as new and proposed buildings have been added. Most strikingly, 20 proposed locations for fire stations are depicted, along with their catchment areas. The Metropolitan Fire Brigade was not formed until 1865. A number of different company brigades had co-operated with each other as the London Fire Engine Establishment since 1833. The failure of this service to stop the destruction of the Houses of Parliament in 1837led to criticism, increasing when a fire in Tooley Street raged for two days. Harris, John
STRANGER'S GUIDE THROUGH the Streets of LONDON and WESTMINSTER
The title of this folding map appears along the top, with the sub-title in an oval at top right. A scale bar and compass star feature at the bottom right. An inset plan of Fleet Prison is included at top left. Squares, open spaces and built-up areas are all delineated in colour. Intended for visitors to the city, the map is divided into squares, with a quick-reference key in the panel below the main plan. Darton, William
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 243
This is a later edition of Shury's map of London first issued in 1832. The map features title along the top with the arms of the cities of London and Westminster. Down both sides of the map and along the bottom are 33 views of London buildings and landmarks. The East India House, Custom House, the Mint, St James's Palace, Christ's Hospital, the new Post Office, the bank of England, Hanover Terrace, the Corn Exchange and the Coliseum are depicted down the left side of the plate. Along the bottom are views of St Katherine's Chapel, Caledonian Church, mansion House, the Royal Exchange, Temple Bar, Guild Hall, Buckingham Palace, St Paul's Cathedral, the Monument, St Bride's Church, Lambeth Palace, Westminster Abbey and the entrance to Green Park. Down the right side of the plate are views of the House of Lords, London Bridge, the House of Commons, Waterloo Bridge, Drury Lane Theatre, Horse Guard, the King's College, Covent Garden Theatre, Somerset House and Gloucester Terrace. Shury, John
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY WITH ALL THE RAILROADS AND IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PRESENT TIME
This map of Victorian London is set within a decorative border, featuring title and publisher's imprint in a panel above the plan, and views of the city's prominent buildings and landmarks along the margins. This is a later edition of the map first published by Shury in 1832, featuring new railway lines and a pictorial view of Crystal Palace, venue of the Great Exhibition of 1851. Shury, John
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 233
This map was issued as a free supplementin the 'United Kingdom' newspaper.Surrounded by a decorative border, the map's title appears in a panel above the plan, with the arms of London, the royal family and the City of Westminster.Inset within the border areillustrations of prominent buildings and landmarks, including the Bank of England, Lambeth Palace, Covent Garden and Waterloo Bridge. The map shows the intended tunnel under the Thames linking Wapping and RotherhitheWhen, the firstunderwater tunnel in the world when it opened in 1843. Shury, John