The Newest and Exactest MAPP of the most Famous Citties LONDON and WESTMINSTER, with their Suburbs; and the manner of their Streets:
The arms of the Commonwealth and of the City appear on the upper-left cornermap, facing the personifications of Justice and Prudence on the upper right. A number key is provided so users can find "the nearest way from one place to another." 'Pecadilly Hall' appears in place of modern Piccadilly. This was a derisive name for the country house built around1612 by Robert Baker, a tailor with a shop on the Strand. Baker made his fortune by selling "picadils" (a stiff collar popular at Court). By the 18th Century, Piccadilly was the name of the whole street. Porter, T.
A NEW PLAN of the CITY of LONDON and BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads &c. Not extant in any other Plan.
1 : 14080 Thomas Jeffreys was an exceptional cartographer and publisher whose productions included maps of North America, considered to be among the finest of the time.This map of the City of London and the Borough of Southwark shows important buildings such as the Tower of London and St Paul's in plan form, differing from many earlier examples, which show them in elevation. It is dedicated to the Right Honourable Lord Mayor Aldermen and to the Commissioners of the Sewers, Lamps and Pavements. Jeffreys, Thomas
London, Westminster and Southwark
1 : 10138 This untitled map of Stuart London features royal arms at top left, city arms at top right, with a scale bar and dividers shown beneath a female figure with a globe at lower left. A key to Southwark's churches is provided at lower right. This map is derivative of Wenceslaus Hollar posthumously published plan of 1685 and features vignettes of prominent buildings along the top, together with portraits of King William and Queen Mary. At the foot of the plate, views of the seven city gates and the Tower of London accompany equestrian statues of Charles I and Charles II.
A New Mapp of the CITTY OF LONDON much Inlarged since the great Fire in 1666
This title of this map of Stuart London appears along the top, with the City arms depicted at top left, and a reference panel at top right. A scale bar with dividers features at bottom left, with the key to individual churches in Southwark in a banner at bottom right. Like many other contemporary plans of London, this one is derivative of Hollar's posthumously published map of1685. Overton, John
Newcourt's 'Map of London', detail showing the East End
Richard Newcourt’s map, made in 1658, represents the first complete survey of London since the 1550s. It shows the City and its surrounding countryside in the closing years of the Commonwealth. Though most buildings are depicted in a conventionalised way, the map gives some idea of the actual appearance of more important places, such as churches and livery halls. The inclusion of their coats of arms in the map's decoration suggests the Livery Companies may have commissioned Newcourt's work. The map provides a fairly accurate picture of the development of the City's eastern suburbs, already spreading along the roads that reached out across the countryside towards the surrounding villages. As well as being the docklands of London, this was the area where the first native English school of chartmaking, the so-called 'Thames School', was getting underway at the very time this map was made. Newcourt, Richard
A Plan of London, Westminst.r and Southwark
This is derivative of Hatton's edition of Braun & Hogenberg's map-view of London. Unusually for a map of its time, most of the buildings are represented in plan instead of pictorially. The Latin text at the foot of the plate in the original are replaced by notes, in English, on the geographic and demographic growth of the city. Braun, Georg & Hogenberg, Frans
LONDON FERACISSIMI ANGLIAE REGNI METROPOLIS
The title of this map of London appears at the top of the plate, flanked by Tudor and city arms. A note on the history of London features at bottom left and on the Steelyard at bottom right. Illustrated figures of merchants appear at bottom centre. Published in 'Civitates Orbis Terrarum', the map is similar in detail to the 'Copperplate Map', the earliest printed map of London of which no complete copy survives. Merchant ships, cranes, mills, bull and bear baiting pits, the large tennis courts at Westminster and the stags in St. James’s are examples of London business and leisure activities. Walled gardens, elegant churches and livery halls testify to the high quality of life enjoyed by its citizens. Braun, Georg & Hogenberg, Frans
1 : 11019 The title of this engraved map of Roman London appears along the top, with compass rose at top right.The arms of the Count of Pembroke, to whom the map is dedicated, are depicted at bottom right. Published in 'Itinerarium Curiosum' by William Stukeley, an antiquarian with a scholarly interest in sacred history, the plan shows the Roman street plan and road network, with illustrated views of the city wall and other prominent architectural and geographical features. Stukeley, Dr. William
the Cittie of London 32
This map has been attributed to Augustus Ryther, an engraver who prospered between 1572 and 1592, contributing to Saxton's Atlas of 1579. This plan was produced to satisfy a European market, and contains certain inaccuracies which a native Londoner would not have tolerated. The streets appear very much wider than they were in actuality. Houses are depicted as having large gardens, when these had, in fact, begun to disappear from London two centuries before. Due to the scarcity of maps of London this rather misleading map was printed several times. This is the second edition. The map-seller's imprint has been removed and a large compass rose has been inserted. The Globe playhouse has been omitted on this edition, because of the theatre's destruction in 1644. Hoge Lane, Bedlam and Finsbury Fields have also been added. The map is shows the water conduit near Fleet Bridge, an important link in the water supply line from St Pancras. Ryther, Augustus
the Cittie of London 31
This map has been attributed to Augustus Ryther, an engraver who prospered between 1572 and 1592, contributing to Saxton's Atlas of 1579. This plan was produced to satisfy a European market, and contains certain inaccuracies which a native Londoner would not have tolerated. The streets appear very much wider than they were in actuality. Houses are depicted as having large gardens, when these had, in fact, begun to disappear from London two centuries before. The map details the gap at the north end of London Bridge, caused by a fire in 1632. Ryther, Augustus
LABYRINTHUS LONDINENSIS or THE EQUESTRIAN PERPLEXED
The author of this small plan of London invites his readers to find their way around the city, from the Strand to St. Paul's, avoiding the many roads closed for repair. The plan's title appears at the top, with the royal Arms at the top left, the city arms at the top right, the arms of Bridge House at the bottom right and the arms of Westminster at the bottom left. A note explains the rules of the puzzle in the panel below the plan. Ingrey, Charles
Englands glory, or, the glory of England being a new mapp of the city of London : shewing the remarkable streets, lanes, alleyes, churches, halls courts, and other places as they are now rebuilt, the which will therefore be a guide to strangers, and such as are not well acquainted herein to direct them from place to place : diverse faults y[t] are in y[e] former are in this amended, allsoe the severall figures y[t] stand up and downe in the mapp are explained in y[e] 2 tables at y[e] upper corners hereof.
Walton, Robert, 1618-1688 Robert Walton