Sketch of the Procession Usually Observed in the Coronation of our KINGS & QUEENS together with a PLAN pointing out Several new Paths and their Parts Adjacent
A sketch of individuals and their order in the coronation procession is featured at the top of the page.60 years as king, George III's was the second longest reign in British history. He was third Hanoverian monarch, but the first to be born in England and use English as his first language. His reign was curtailed by periodic bouts of mental instability,which many contemporary commentators ascribed to the strain of the American conflict,but was more likely caused by the hereditary physical disorder called porphyria. He was a cultured monarch who donated to the nation a royal collection of books as the nucleus of a national library, now held in the King's Tower;in the British Library.
PLAN, presented to the House of Commons, of a STREET proposed from Charing Cross to Portland Place, leading to the Crown Estate in Mary-le-Bone Park
1 : 3684 This original design for Regent Street was commissioned by the House of Commons.The title appears along the top, with a descriptive note below the plan and a scale bar at the bottom centre. Crown Property is highlighted in blue.Starting at Carlton House, Regent Street ran through crownland at Piccadilly (where a circus was built) before turning north-west along Swallow Street, in Soho, finally joining Portland Place north of Oxford Street. Basire, James
Insurance Plan of London: General Key Plan
1 : 4800 This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1889 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
ST. GEORGE'S PARISH, HANOVER SQUARE.
1 : 8448 This plan of the Parish of St George is surrounded by views of St George's church, Knightsbridge chapel, Conduit Street chapel, Chelsea chapel, Audley Street chapel and Berkeley chapel, the whole set within a decorative border. The title and imprint appear at the foot of the plate. The Parish of St George was created in 1725 and covered an area previously in the Parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields that stretched from Regent Street (then called Swallow Street) to the Serpentine, and from Oxford Street to Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico. Bickham, J.
1 : 3960 The title and compass star of this plan appear at middle left, with them scale bar at bottom right. At over 340 acres the largest of all the royal parks, Hyde Park was originally a hunting ground for deer, boars and wild bull. Bequeathed to the monks of Westminster after the conquest of Geoffrey de Mandeville in the 1140s, the park was appropriated by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The park was opened to the public at the beginning of the 17th century, and remained a deer hunting ground until 1768. Bennett, S.
PLAN OF A Street Proposed FROM CHARING CROSS TO PORTLAND PLACE.
1 : 6000 This is Nash's original design for Regent Street.The title appears at top right, with compass star and scale bar at the bottom left. The course of the street highlighted in yellow, with Crown property is highlighted in blue.Starting at Carlton House, Regent Street ran through crownland at Piccadilly (where a circus was built) before turning north-west along Swallow Street, in Soho, finally joining Portland Place north of Oxford Street. Thompson
A New and Exact Plan of the City of LONDON and Suburbs thereof, With the addition of the New Buildings, Churches &c. to this present Year 1720 (Not extant in any other)
1 : 6336 This map of the West End of London is part of Henry Overton's complete map of London and its suburbs, published in 1720.The title and publisher's imprint appear in cartouche in the centre, with fares of hackney coaches and an overall key at bottom left. The compass rose appears in the river, with parish boundaries outlined in colour. Henry Overton took over his father John's publishing business in 1707 and continued to publish maps from the same address at White Horse near Newgate. Overton, Henry
NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER, The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
1 : 11520 The title of this map appears in cartouche at top right, with a compass rose at top left. A territory with its own courts and administration, the Duchy of Lancaster was created in 1267 by Edward III for his younger son John. The Duchy was attached to the Crown when Prince Henry of Bolingbroke, the last Duke of Lancaster, became Henry IV in 1399. To this day, the Duchy has retained its own jurisdiction under the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.The chancellorship is a high governmental position, and sometimes a cabinet poist. Since, for at least the last two centuries, the Chancellor rarely has had any significant duties pertaining to the Duchy's management, he is usually available as a minister without portfolio. Recent Chancellors have included Labour cabinet minister Mo Mowlam.
A NEW and ACCURATE PLAN of the CITY of WESTMINSTER The DUTCHY of LANCASTER and Places Adjacent
John Rocque developed his surveying talent at a young age, making plans of the great houses and gardens of the nobility.This early experience led to him taking up large-scale surveying, producing plans such as this one of Westminster. Here, Tottenham Court and Marylebone are mostly fields but Westminster has grown sufficiently to demand the construction of a new bridge.Westminster Bridge was opened in 1750 and watermen were paid 163;25,000 in compensation as the new bridge made them largely redundant. The Chelsea Water Works Company, shown south of Totthill Fields, was set up to improve water supply to Westminster and "parts adjacent".The Company were the first to introduce slow sand filtration to purify Thames water. Rocque, John
FORD'S ILLUSTRATED MEMORIAL OF THE GRAND INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION OF ALL NATIONS, HYDE PARK, LONDON 1851
This pictorial map commemorates the Great Exhibition of 1851, conceived by Henry Cole and presided over by Prince Albert. Theexhibition was held in the Crystal Palace. Designed by Joseph Paxton, it showcased exhibits from all over the world, including the largest pearl ever found, a knife with 300 blades, and the Koh-i-Noor diamond. The exhibition was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851. She remained a frequent visitor, as did the Duke of Wellington. Only main roads in the capital are shown on this map and London locations are marked by small medallions containing scenes. Borders of roundels contain people from "all nations". Queen Victoria and Albert flank a view of the Crystal Palace, which was removed from Hyde Park in 1852andrebuilt at Sydenham. Simpson Ford, William