LONDON IN MINIATURE WITH THE Surrounding AN ENTIRE NEW PLAN In which the Improvements both present and intended are actually reduced (by permission) from the surveys of Several Proprietors
The title of this map appears at top right, with scale bar at the bottom centre, and a compass rose near top left. Watercourses, roads and open spaces are depicted in colour. The map shows the proposed new bridges at Waterloo and Vauxhall, extending eastward on an added sheet to include the Isle of Dogs. Mogg, Edward
THE CIRCUITEER. A SERIES OF DISTANCE MAPS FOR ALL THE PRINCIPAL TOWNS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. INVENTED BY J. FREDERICHS AS A GUIDE FOR ASCERTAINING CAB FARES, PORTERAGE &c. &c.
The title of this map of Victorian London appears at top centre, with a scale bar at the foot of the plate. The map is divided into circles, each a half-mile in diameter, allowing the reader to ascertain the distance between two places at a glance. Each circle is also numbered for reference, with a key to the principal streets and squares a in panel below the map, together with an explanatory note. Repeated in French and German, this note reports London cab fares, set by Act of Parliament at 8d (pence) per mile and 4d for every additional half mile. Frederichs, J.
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON AND WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent 221
The title of this folding map of London runs along the top, with a list of public buildings at top left, facing a list of churches at top right. Open spaces and the city boundaries are drawn in colour, withal reference table in the panel below the plan. John Cary, who first published this map in 1787, added a sheet to this later edition to include the Lea River, the Isle of Dogs and the new docks. The map also shows the Asylum for the Blind in St. George's Fields and the Penitentiary at Millbank. Cary, John
LAURIE and WHITTLE NEW MAP OF LONDON WITH ITS ENVIRONS &C. Including the Recent Improvements
The title of this map of London and suburbs appears at top left, with the key to symbols and abbreviations at the top right and a compass rose at the bottom centre. The map is divided into mile squares with borders marked off in furlongs for reference. Squares, open spaces and city boundaries are distinguished in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued in 1804, updated to include the new bridges and the approaches at Waterloo and Vauxhall (indicated by dotted lines). Built between 1809 and 1819, Vauxhall, Waterloo and Southwark bridges were projected, funded and constructed by private commercial companies hoping to profit from toll-paying traffic from Lambeth, Camberwell and the rest of south London. Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton. Davies, Benjamin Rees
PIGOT & Co New Plan of London Taken from the Best Authorities
The title and publisher's imprint of this map appear at the top right, facing an explanatory note at top left. Squares, open spaces and the built-up area in the city are delineated in colour. A key to colours is provided at the bottom left. Published in Pigot's 'Metropolis Guide and Book of Reference', the map is divided into circles numbered for reference, showing Waterloo, Vauxhall and Battersea Bridges. Pigot, James
PLAN of LONDON
Only the main roads appear on this map, giving the appearance of a rather spacious capital city. The new London Bridge is shown without its approaches. Pecked lines show the intended location of the Thames Tunnel. Marc Brunel, father of the great engineer Isobard, solved the problem of how to bore through soft ground or under water, inventing the tunnelling shield. Both father and son worked on the tunnel which was completed as a foot tunnel in 1843, before becoming a railway tunnel for the East London Railway in the 1860s. The East and West India Docks are also shown. Phillips, Horatio