NEW PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
This is a later edition of the map of London, Westminster and Southwark first issued by Gardner in 1827. The map is enclosed in a border and features title along the top, key and scale bar along the bottom, with borough boundaries, open spaces and water courses and main roads in colour. Additions to earlier editions of the map include the Great Western, London and Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall and Croydon railways.
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER 1795
This is the second edition of a map published seven times until 1806. The title is embellished with an engraving of Father Thames, with St Paul's visible in the distance to one side of him. This edition includes an inset plan of the proposed Wet Docks. In 1796, the year this map was published, a Parliamentary Committee attempted to resolve the docking problems such as congestion, delays, lack of warehouse space and theft. The result was a number of project proposals for the building of new docks. However, none of these proposals were carried out, and the problem was not solved until private companies began building enclosed docks in 1802.
PAYNE'S IMPROVED PLAN OF LONDON
The title of this map appears at top right alongside the publisher’s imprint (in shield) and the city arms. The map is divided in half-mile squares with letters and numbers for reference running along the borders. It shows the Dover, Croydon, Greenwich, Blackwall, Eastern, North London, Great Northern and Birmingham railway lines and their termini.
Payne, Albert Henry
LONDON AT ONE VIEW: A NEW MAP
Map of London with title along the top, scale bar at top left and statistical note below the map. Down both sides of the map are views of London prominent buildings and landmarks. Nelson Column, Westminster Hall, Horse Guard, Buckingham Palace and Burlington Arcade are depicted down the left of the map and the Monument, St Paul's Cathedral, Guildhall, the Royal Exchange, Temple Bar and the Thames Tunnel down the right.
This map of Victorian London was published in the 'Weekly Dispatch' newspaper of 1756. Its title appears at top right, along with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar. Based on Davies's map of 1847, the map shows London railway termini, the South Western, West London and North Kent lines, and all post-receiving houses and pillars.
Cassell, Petter & Calpin
This untitled map of London features scale bar at top left. The city boundary is marked in red, with open land, such as parks and gardens, in green, and the Thames, docks and canals in blue. The map clearly labels the contemporary development of the railway lines, with the Birmingham railway shown intersecting the Regent's Canal at Camden Town. The canal, enthusiastically promoted by architect John Nash, was built to facilitate the import of goods from the provinces. Constructed at the beginning of the era of sustained railway development, however, it never fulfilled its potential and became obsolete.
CROSS'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON 1828
The title of this folding map is inset in the top border, with the publisher's imprint and explanatory notes in the bottom border and a list of parishes in a table at top right. The map is divided into half-mile squares for reference, with the river, open spaces and the boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark highlighted in different colours.
CROSS'S LONDON GUIDE
This is the second edition of Cross's London Guide, originally published in 1837 and issued four times. The cover title of this edition is 'CROSS'S POCKET PLAN OF LONDON AND STREET DIRECTORY 1844'. Its principal interest lies in its detailing of the expansion of the railways. London's first railway was opened in 1836, running between Bermondsey and Deptford, reducing the average travelling time from an hour to eight minutes. This line was extended to Greenwich and London Bridge, with the extension recorded on the map. By 1841 there were six terminal stations in London, with railways linking London with Birmingham and Southampton. These terminals were set at a distance from the centre of the city, due to fears of street congestion. This map shows the Great Western, Birmingham, Eastern Counties, Blackwall, Southampton and Croydon railways. The intended position of Hungerford Bridge is also shown.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK 185
The title of this map appears at top right, with a compass rose and scale bar at bottom right. Below the plan is a list of public offices, with a special section dedicated to those at Somerset House. Designed by William Chambers, Somerset House was built in stages between 1771 and 1835, the first large block ever built to accommodate government offices. Over the years it has housed the Royal Navy, the Stamp Office, Hackney Coaches and Barge Master, the General Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages and the Inland Revenue.
Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent
John Cary was possibly the most productive English map maker and publisher of the18th Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each edition by showing new developments. This is the third edition of a map first published in 1787. The developments in Somers Town are shown; the Lambeth and London roads are named. The numerous parks and gardens across the city are coloured green. The map is divided into squares, numbered for reference.
TEGG'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON, &c. WITH 360 REFERENCES TO THE PRINCIPAL STREETS &c.
The title of this folding map of London appears along the top. The city boundaries, open spaces, roads and watercourses are depicted in colour in colour. This is a later edition of a map first issued by Tegg in 1823. It is divided into rectangles for reference, with a street index in panel below the plan.
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton.
Davies, Benjamin Rees
PLAN OF LONDON FROM AN ACTUAL SURVEY 238
This map is set within a decorative border. Its title appears along the top, with the arms of the city, the royal family and Westminster. Around the margin are pictorial views of prominent buildings and landmarks, including the Bank of England, Lambeth Palace, Covent Garden and Waterloo Bridge. The map is a later edition of one first issued as a free supplement of the 'United Kingdom' newspaper in 1832, adding the Greenwich and Birmingham railway lines.