PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON and WESTMINSTER, with the BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK, exhibiting all the NEW BUILDINGS to the present YEAR MDCCCVI
As the 19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations for general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This map appeared in Lambert's 'History of London' of 1806. The title appears along the top with the reference table in a panel below the map. The plan extends eastward to include the East India Docks, opened in 1806. Lambert, B.
CROSS'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON 1828
The title of this folding map is inset in the top border, with the publisher's imprint and explanatory notes in the bottom border and a list of parishes in a table at top right. The map is divided into half-mile squares for reference, with the river, open spaces and the boundaries of London, Westminster and Southwark highlighted in different colours. Cross, Joseph
This map of Victorian London was produced for publication in the Post Office Directory of 1852. The map's title and imprint appear at top right. It shows the entire London railway system. With the exception of Blackfriars and Marylebone stations, all London termini were built in the between 1736and 1876. As the railway companies scrambled to buy land to redevelop central London, many people, mainly slum-dwellers, were left homeless or forced to move to outer suburbs like Tottenham and Edmonton. Davies, Benjamin Rees
PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER with the Borough of SOUTHWARK Being an INDEX to the Large Plan in forty Sheets
This folding map of London was originally published by Faden in 1818 as an index to Harwood's famous map of Regency London. This is a later edition of the map, issued by Wyld when he took over Faden's publishing business. The title, explanation and scale bar feature at top right. The boundaries of London, Westminster, Southwark, Lambeth, Marylebone, Finsbury and Tower Hamlets are outlined in colour. The map is divided into squares with letters and numbers for reference along the margins for reference, with an interpretive key in panel below the plan. Faden, William
CARY'S New and Accurate Plan of LONDON AND WESTMINSTER, the Borough of SOUTHWARK and parts adjacent 221
The title of this folding map of London runs along the top, with a list of public buildings at top left, facing a list of churches at top right. Open spaces and the city boundaries are drawn in colour, withal reference table in the panel below the plan. John Cary, who first published this map in 1787, added a sheet to this later edition to include the Lea River, the Isle of Dogs and the new docks. The map also shows the Asylum for the Blind in St. George's Fields and the Penitentiary at Millbank. Cary, John
PAYNE'S IMPROVED PLAN OF LONDON
The title of this map appears at top right alongside the publisher’s imprint (in shield) and the city arms. The map is divided in half-mile squares with letters and numbers for reference running along the borders. It shows the Dover, Croydon, Greenwich, Blackwall, Eastern, North London, Great Northern and Birmingham railway lines and their termini. Payne, Albert Henry
This map of Victorian London was published in the 'Weekly Dispatch' newspaper of 1756. Its title appears at top right, along with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar. Based on Davies's map of 1847, the map shows London railway termini, the South Western, West London and North Kent lines, and all post-receiving houses and pillars. Cassell, Petter & Calpin
ROWE'S PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, exhibiting the various IMPROVEMENTS, to the Year 1804 with the LONDON and WEST INDIA DOCKS
The title of this map appears along the top, with the table of reference in a panel below the plan and scale bar at bottom right. The map is divided into rectangles for reference and shows the newly built London and West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. Designed by William Jessop, the docks were completed in 1802 allowing West India Company merchants to discharge their ships in four days instead of the usual four weeks. Rowe, Robert
THE CIRCUITEER. A SERIES OF DISTANCE MAPS FOR ALL THE PRINCIPAL TOWNS IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. INVENTED BY J. FREDERICHS AS A GUIDE FOR ASCERTAINING CAB FARES, PORTERAGE &c. &c.
The title of this map of Victorian London appears at top centre, with a scale bar at the foot of the plate. The map is divided into circles, each a half-mile in diameter, allowing the reader to ascertain the distance between two places at a glance. Each circle is also numbered for reference, with a key to the principal streets and squares a in panel below the map, together with an explanatory note. Repeated in French and German, this note reports London cab fares, set by Act of Parliament at 8d (pence) per mile and 4d for every additional half mile. Frederichs, J.
LAURIE'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON and its ENVIRONS with an Improved Scale FOR ASCERTENING DISTANCES
Map of London and the suburbs with title, imprint and dedication to Lord Viscount Melbourne in table at top right. Below the title, a note explaining that the map was based on the trigonometric survey by General Roy "combined with a new series of 52 stations on elevated situations from which the positions of upward to of 450 steeples, domes, turrets, vanes and other conspicuous objects within the limits of the plan, have been determined by means of more than 5000 angles." Laurie, Richard Holmes
LONDON IN MINIATURE WITH THE Surrounding AN ENTIRE NEW PLAN In which the Improvements both present and intended are actually reduced (by permission) from the surveys of Several Proprietors
The title of this map appears at top right, with scale bar at the bottom centre, and a compass rose near top left. Watercourses, roads and open spaces are depicted in colour. The map shows the proposed new bridges at Waterloo and Vauxhall, extending eastward on an added sheet to include the Isle of Dogs. Mogg, Edward
CRUCHLEY'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON IMPROVED TO 1826 INCLUDING THE EAST AND WEST INDIA DOCKS 223
The title of this folding map of London is inset in top border, with the publisher’s imprint and key to symbols in bottom border, scale bar near bottom right, and compass rose at top right. The river and open spaces are highlighted in colour. The map extends eastward on an added sheet to include the East and West India Docks. Cruchley, who first published the map in 1826, added the proposed Collier Docks in the Isle of Dogs to this later edition. The docks were never built and Millwall Docks now occupy part of the site Cruchley, George Frederick