A new PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK 85
This map of London, Westminster and Southwark was published in John Strype's 1720''Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster''. The map's title is at top centre in ornamental cartouche, surrounded by cherubs, fruits and mythological figures. Dedication to Sir George Thorold, Lord Mayor of London appears at top right, facing the city arms at top left. A compass star is depicted at middle right and a scale bar at bottom right. Strype, John
This Actuale Survey of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK IS HUMBLY DEDICATED TO Y.e L.D LORD MAYOR & COURT OF ALDERMEN
This later edition of Morden and Lea's 1688 map was published by Covens & Mortier in Amsterdam in 1725. The title appears in English and French in a ribbon along the top. The key to churches, city wards, palaces, halls and companies features in a reference table at the foot of the plate. Jean Covens and Corneil Mortier founded the prestigious printing and publishing house that bears their names in Amsterdam in 1721. Over the years they published wall maps of countries and continents, reissuing many maps, town plans and general atlases by the likes of De Wit, Jaillot and De Lisle. Their heirs continued the business until the 1880s. Morden, Robert & Lea, Philip
This Actuall Survey Of LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK Is humbly Dedicated To Y.e L.d M.Yor & Court Of Aldermen by R.o: Morden, Phil: Lea Chr: Browne
This is a later edition of a very popular map of London first published by Morden and Lea in 1690. The map's title features along the top, with the city arms at top left, facing the publisher's imprint in shield at top right. The reference tables, scale bar and compass rose appear at lower right. The plan marks the city's growth in the late Stuart period, showing its northward spread towards Islington. Morden, Robert & Lea, Philip
A New & Exact Plan of the Cities of London, & c.
Map of London with title along the top, arms of the 12 principal livery companies at top left with City arms and emblems of the arts. Lists of wards and parishes are reported in a table at bottom left and a descriptive note near bottom centre, with fares of coaches and ferries at bottom right. Down both sides of the map are views of prominent buildings: St Paul's Cathedral, the Banqueting House, the Royal Exchange, Custom House, the Admirably Office, the Royal Palace at St James', Westminster Abbey, Guildhall, the Bank of England, the Tower of London, the Treasury and South Sea House. Foster, George
LONDON, WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK, Accurately delineated from the latest Surveys,
John Cary was possibly the most productive maker and publisher of maps in England the 18 Century. His works were reissued many times, but unlike many of his contemporaries he aimed to update each new edition by including new developments. This is the second edition of a map originally published in 1782. The imprint and table of Hackney coach fares (referred to in the description) has been removed from the bottom of the map. Cary, John
A PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER with the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK
The border of this folding map is divided in degrees of latitude and longitude with a scale bar at bottom right. The title of the map is in a panel below the plan with the arms of the City, flanked by the arms of Westminster (left) and Bridge House (right). Bridge House was responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all bridges within the City of London. A freeman with the Clothworkers Company, William Faden became Jeffrey's business partner in the 1770s, taking control of the publishing and printing businesson Jeffrey's death. Jeffrey, Thomas & Faden, William
THIS ACTUAL SURVEY OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK IS HUMBLY DEDICATED TO Ye LD MAYOR & COURT OF ALDERMEN
This map is a reissue of a 1690 plan. It features the title in a banner along the top with a compass rose and the city arms. The key to public offices, wards, parishes, halls and companies appear in tables at the bottom and lower right. Prominent buildings shown in elevation. This updated edition includes the Cavendish Square development, which began in 1717. Covens& Mortier was a successful publishing business, including in its output re-issues of general atlases by Jaillot, Delisle, Vichsscher and de Wit, whose stock they had acquired. Covens, Jean & Mortier, Corneille
The LONDON Guide or A Pocket Plan of the CITIES of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and borough of SOUTHWARK for the Universal Scots ALMANACK, with the New Buildings 1781.
This is a map from the Universal Scots Almanack. The area of the city is left white in comparison to the surrounding area, providing us with a rough outline of where the old London wall enclosed the city. By 1781, the date of this map, this Roman wall had been entirely demolished or built over. Most of the gates were pulled down in 1760/1. Newgate was the last to be demolished, surviving until 1777. UNIVERSAL SCOTS ALMANACK
London &c., accurately surveyed by Wm Morgan, His Majesty Cosmographer
This is a later edition of the map of London and the built up area around it first issued by Morgan in 1681-82. The title of the map is missing. Also missing are the views of the equestrian statues of Charles I and II, prominent buildings and prospect of the City that accompanied the map. The map features scale bar and compass rose near bottom centre and reference tables with key to buildings in London, Westminster and Southwark along the bottom. Down the left is a list of officers of State and dignitaries and down the right is a list of City companies, Irish nobility and the clergy. Morgan, William
London & c., accurately Surveyed, an accurate Plan of the Cities of London and Westminster and the Borough of Southwark, 1732
This is a later edition of the map of London first issued by Morden and Lea in 1681-82. Printed in 12 sheets, the map features title in banner along the top, portraits of King William and Queen Mary below the title, with the Royal and City arms. Reference tables, compass rose and scale bar at lower right. Along the top of the map are views of Westminster Abbey, the Banqueting Hall, Somerset House, the Mercers' Chapel, the Royal Exchange, Guild Hall and St Paul's Cathedral, with equestrian statues of Charles I and Charles II at top left and right respectively. The map shows Wigmore Street, Grosvenor Square and the Church of St Anne, Limehouse which did not feature in earlier editions of the map. Morden, Robert and Lea, Philip
CARY's New POCKET PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK; with all the adjacent buildings in ST. GEORGE'S FIELDS &c.&c.
Pocket plans were made popular by the Bowles companying the 1730s, and had an enduring appeal. This plan, engraved by the prolific John Cary, was published 18 times. This is the first edition. It includes a list of the receiving houses appointed by the General and Penny Post Offices and a table of Hackney coach fares. The postal service in London was largely developed by William Dockwra, who responded to the demand for local letter delivery in London: non-existent until 1680, except by private messenger. Dockwra opened nearly 500 receiving houses where letters were sorted for delivering, costing the user one penny. So successful was this system that it was taken over by the General Post Office after two years. Cary, John
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON with the Names of the Streets Alphabetically arranged at Bottom with directions to find them in the Map
The title of this map appears along the top and with the river, city boundaries and open spaces depicted in different colours. The map is divided into numbered squares for reference, with a key in the table below the plan. Samuel Fores, better known as a publisher of sporting prints, first issued this map in 1789; this is a later edition, updated to include the housing developments of Sommers Town and St. George's Field. Fores, Samuel W.