A Mapp of the Cityies of LONDON & WESTMINSTER & BURROUGH of SOUTHWARK with their Suburbs and the Addition of the New Buildings
The title of this map of London, Westminster and Southwark appears along the top, with a reference table (flanked by sword and mace-bearer) at top left, a figure of Mercury (with the city arms on his shield) at top centre, and a second reference table below city arms at top right. The key to places in Southwark appear in a table at St. George's Fields, with compass star and scale bar at bottom centre and an allegorical figure of Father Thames at bottom right. John Oliver first issued this map in 1680.This is a later edition published and sold by John Bowles from his shop at the Black Horse in Cornhill. Oliver, John
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK
This is the fifth edition of a map originally published in 1771 by John Bowles. His name has been replaced by the imprint of Robert Wilkinson, the reissuer. This map highlights the London Wall in red, and colours the city in pink. It uses arrows to show the direction of water-flow in the Thames. There are some additions to the map near Foundling Hospital. Bowles, John
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK; 152
Robert Laurie was a fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s. He acquired the stock of surveyor John Sayer’s in 1794 and, in partnership with James Whittle, founded the map publishing firm Laurie & Whittle. This map is very similar to the 1765 map by Robert Sayer and is probably from the same plate. Blackfriars Bridge is shown along with its proposed approaches. Laurie, Robert, and Whittle, James.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON,
Robert Sayer, the surveyor, traded as a map publisher and print seller in Fleet Street in the latter half of the 18th Century. Between 1751 and 1770and againfrom1784to 1794, he published maps under his own name or under the imprint of Sayer and Bennett. This is the 11th edition of a map published 14 times over a period of 27 years. During this time Robert Sayer became joined in partnership with John Bennett, with their joint imprint appearing on the third to eighth editions. The area of the city is highlighted in pink. A table of references for churches and public buildings appears below the map. In 1794 Sayers stock was acquired by Robert Laurie who founded the map publishing firm of Laurie & Whittle, with his friend James Whittle. Sayer, Robert
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & SOUTHWARK;
The title of this map appears along the top, with a key in panel below the plan and letters along the borders for reference. Sayer's maps of London, largely derivative, were issued with few alterations throughout the middle years of the 18th Century. This is a later edition of a map he first published in 1765, updated to include the approaches to Blackfriars Bridge, which did not feature in the first edition. Sayer, Robert
PLATTE GRONDT DER STADT LONDON MET AENWYSINGHE HOE DIE AFGEBRANDT
This map was published in Amsterdam after the great fire of 1666. The title appears along the top of the manuscript, with the key to parish churches (in scrolls) at top left and top right, and dividers at top right. An engraving of the great fire is inset at bottom right, entitled "BRANDENT LONDON". Below the plan, the fire is described in Dutch and French. Wit, Frederick de
PLAN DE LA VILLE DE LONDRES
This small map of London appeared in a book entitled "Memoires et Observations faites par un Voyageur en Angleterre", published in France by Henry Van Bulderen in 1698. The map is a much-reduced derivative of Joannes de Ram's plan of 1690. This edition features title at top left, city arms at top right and a panorama of London, based on Matthaeus Merian’s view of the city, in a panel below the plan. Ram, Joannes de
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK; 182
This map is a reissue of a map published in 1771 by John Bowles. Bowles's name has been replaced by that of Robert Wilkinson, the reissuer. A table of references to churches and public buildings appears below the map. The built-up area of the city is stippled, with other built-up areas done in crosshatching. Coloured lines delineate individual city wards. Bowles, John
An IMPROVED PLAN of the CITIES of LONDON and WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, including the NEW BUILDINGS, ROADS &C.
This coloured map shows the built-up area of the City of London as a stippled pattern, with other built-up areas crosshatched. This map is a later edition of Kitching and Parker's 1765 plan, updated to include the new bridge and the approaches at Blackfriars as finally laid out. Designed by Robert Mylne, this third bridge spanning the Thames was built between 1760 and 69. The nine semi-elliptical Portland stone arches were replaced from 1860 to 69 by the present structure of five wrought-iron arches each faced with cast iron, and a granite pier designed by Cubitt and Carr. Kitching, Thomas and Parker, Henry
A Plan of LONDON and WESTMINSTER, shewing the Forts erected by order of the Parliament in 1643, and the Desolation by the Fire in 1666
This is a retrospective plan of London, showing the1643 defences for the civil war and the area destroyed by the Great Fire. These defences were built to protect the city from attacks by Charles I and his 15,000 Royalist troops. Here all 23 forts are shown, linked by eighteen miles of ramparts. The Royalists never attempted to enter London because the King made a tactical withdrawal.
The LONDON DIRECTORY, or a New & Improved PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER, & SOUTHWARK;
This is a reissue of a map first published in 1771 by John Bowles. Bowles' name has been removed, with the imprint of there issuer, Robert Wilkinson, appearing instead. This map highlights the London Wall in red, showing with arrows the direction of water-flow in the Thames. Bowles, John
HARRIS'S PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and the BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK, with all the additional Streets, Squares &c; also the improved ROADS to the Year 1794.
This map is the seventh edition of an original plan of1779. Differences between the fifth and sixth edition five suggest that the plate was re-engraved, at least in parts, as additional buildings appear in the sixth edition, dating from 1791.This edition claims to show London as it was in 1794, although no discernible features distinguish it from the previous edition. An alphanumeric table of references and a grid of half-mile squares aids orientation. A small diagram in the bottom right corner instructs the user on how to use the grid. The bottom margin has been trimmed away, removing the print seller's imprint. Harris, John
A PLAN of the City and Suburbs of LONDON as fortified by Order of Parliament in the Years 1642 and 1643.
This is a retrospective plan of London showing the defences for the civil war, established after an Act of Parliament in 1642. These built to protect the city from attacks by Charles I and his 15,000 Royalist troops. Here all 23 forts are shown, linked by eighteen miles of ramparts. The Royalists did not attempt to enter London as the King made a tactical withdrawal. Fort 6 was the first to be built, with a commanding prospect of Finsbury Fields. Vertue, G.