The Newest and Exactest MAPP of the most Famous Citties LONDON and WESTMINSTER, with their Suburbs; and the manner of their Streets:
The arms of the Commonwealth and of the City appear on the upper-left cornermap, facing the personifications of Justice and Prudence on the upper right. A number key is provided so users can find "the nearest way from one place to another." 'Pecadilly Hall' appears in place of modern Piccadilly. This was a derisive name for the country house built around1612 by Robert Baker, a tailor with a shop on the Strand. Baker made his fortune by selling "picadils" (a stiff collar popular at Court). By the 18th Century, Piccadilly was the name of the whole street.
A New Map of the Cities of London and Westminster and Ye Borough of Southwarke with the Suburbs
Large map of London with prospect view of the City from Bankside in a strip above the main plan. Entitled "Prospect of London as it was flourishing before the destruction by fire", the view is based on Hollar's celebrated view of London from Bankside of 1647 and shows London from Worcester House (just west of the Savoy) on the west to Wapping and St Catherine's Docks to the east. The view shows London before the fire being composed almost exclusively of Gothic buildings, Inigo Jones’s Banqueting Hall at Whitehall and the classical restoration of St. Paul’s cathedral being the only examples of Renaissance architecture. The map, with title in cartouche, reference tables at top right and top left and scale bar at bottom centre, is a very minute bird's eye view of the cities of London and Westminster, the borough of Southwark and the suburbs showing London after the fire growing in area faster than ever before. Stepney Church, for example, marks a new point of growth east of the city.
The LONDON GUIDE, or A POCKET PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER and BOROUGH of SOUTHWARK with the BEW BUILDINGS, &C to the present year
This map of Georgian London was published in John Entick's 1766'A New and Accurate History and Survey of London, Westminster and Southwark.' The title of the map appears in a panel below the plan along with the rates of hackney coaches and water ferries. It extends eastward to include Limehouse, then one of the main centres for shipbuilding in the capital.
A New and Complete Plan of LONDON, WESTMINSTER & BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK containing the Improvements IN, and ROUND the METROPOLIS
Roads and open spaces are depicted in different colours and margins divided into miles and furlongs. The map’s title and a list of districts in Westminster are at the top left, with a key to public offices and Westminster parishes at the bottom left. The fares of hackney coaches and water ferries are at the bottom right, along with a list of Surrey parishes. At middle right, there is a list of parishes within the 'Bill of Mortality' - the name given to parishes who sent regular death notices to the central London government. A fine mezzotint engraver and regular exhibitor at the Society of Artists in the 1770s, Robert Laurie acquired Sayer’s stock in 1794 and (with James Whittle) founded the map publishing house Laurie & Whittle.
Laurie, Robert and Whittle, James
Urbium Londini et West-Monasterii nec non suburbii Southwark accurata ichnographia : in qua viae publicae omnes et singulae, plateae majores et minores, vici, angiporti, porticulae etc. una cum accessionibus aedificiorum, quibus urbs usque ad a. 1736, novissime locupletata est, reprasentantur : ad norman prototypi Londinensis edita curris Hommannianorum Heredum C.P.S.C.M
1 : 5280
Homann Erben (Firm)
A NEW PLAN of the CITY AND LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER
The engraver-turned-cartographer Thomas Jeffrey began commissioning original surveys for a series of English county maps in the early 1760s. This is the combination of two separate maps: a map of Westminster, with a list of districts and parishes in the County of Middlesex; and an adjoining map of London featuring list of parishes in the County of Surrey and key to colours. The map is a later edition of Jeffrey's map of 1766, with the imprint, dedication and City arms omitted, updated to include the New Road, the first London bypass, and the roads across St. George's Fields.
A NEW POCKET PLAN OF THE CITIES OF LONDON & WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK
This folding map of London is the eighth edition of a map first published by Faden in 1787. It features title at top left, table of parishes next to the title, and scale bar at bottom right. At bottom centre is a list of Surrey parishes within the Bill of Mortality - the name given to the areas from which the London government received regular death notices. The border of the map is divided in miles and furlongs. At the beginning of the 19th Century, the administration of London was split among a multitude of authorities, vestries, special commissions and private enterprises. The nine districts in London are distinguished on the map by areas of different colour, with key to colours and explanation of the relevant civil and military authorities in handwritten notes down both sides of the map.
LONDON WESTMINSTER AND SOUTHWARK
The title of this small map runs along the top, with the imprint and scale bar below the plan. The map shows Waterloo Bridge, or Strand Bridge, with the proposed southern approach indicated by a dotted line. Designed by John Rennie, Waterloo Bridge was constructed by a commercial company hoping to profit from toll-paying traffic. The bridge cost 1m and was never profitable. The bridge was demolished and replaced controversially in 1936.
London, Westminster and Southwark
1 : 10138
This untitled map of Stuart London features royal arms at top left, city arms at top right, with a scale bar and dividers shown beneath a female figure with a globe at lower left. A key to Southwark's churches is provided at lower right. This map is derivative of Wenceslaus Hollar posthumously published plan of 1685 and features vignettes of prominent buildings along the top, together with portraits of King William and Queen Mary. At the foot of the plate, views of the seven city gates and the Tower of London accompany equestrian statues of Charles I and Charles II.
A NEW PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER WITH THE BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK 218
Map of London with the title in a panel at top left, imprint below the plan, key to colours at bottom centre, a scale bar at bottom right and with a list of parishes in tables near bottom left and bottom right. The map is divided into furlong squares printed in red ink and features numbers along the borders for reference. The son of a map publisher, James Wyld attended military college before entering the map trade. He became one of the best-known map publishers of the middle of the 19th Century and during the railway-building mania of those years, his maps of railway developments were often put before parliament.
A New Map of the Cities of London and Westminster and Ye Borough of Southwarke with their Suburbs
This is a later edition of Hollar's map of London of 1675 without the prospect view of the City entitled "Prospect of London as it was flourishing before the destruction by fire" that featured in the first edition. The map, with title in cartouche, reference tables and scale bar, is a very minute bird’s eye view of the cities of London and Westminster, with the Borough of Southwark and suburbs showing London after the fire growing in area faster than ever before, with former satellite villages fast becoming mere localities in the urban sprawl. Stepney church, for example, marks a new point of growth east of the city.
A New and Exact Plan of Ye City of London and suburbs thereof, 1731 93
This is the third edition of Overton's map of London and the suburbs first issued in 1720. The map features title in cartouche at top left, lists of Hackney coaches and watermen's rates at bottom left and centre, City arms at bottom right and compass in river. The area within the boundaries of the City of London is stippled, with ward boundaries highlighted in colour. The map is divided in squares with letters along the margins for reference.
A Pocket MAP of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK With ye New Buildings to ye Year 1759
This pocket map of London is reminiscent of Henry Overton's map of 1731.The title and scale bar appear at top left, fares of hackney coaches feature at top and middle right, and fares of water ferries at bottom centre. A note on distances, churches and public buildings is included at bottom right with the city boundaries outlined in colour. Robert Whity, who issued this map in 1759, added a sheet to include the development north of Oxford Street in the estate of Henry Cavendish, Duke of Newcastle, where Cavendish Square was at the centre of a new residential district being built by Edward Harley, the duke’s son-in-law.
A New Mapp of the CITTY OF LONDON much Inlarged since the great Fire in 1666
This title of this map of Stuart London appears along the top, with the City arms depicted at top left, and a reference panel at top right. A scale bar with dividers features at bottom left, with the key to individual churches in Southwark in a banner at bottom right. Like many other contemporary plans of London, this one is derivative of Hollar's posthumously published map of1685.