LONDON AND WESTMINSTER
The title of this map appears near the top right in a vignette depicting Father Thames, with compass rose at bottom right, scale bar at bottom centre, and an alphabetical list of streets in the table below the plan. Roads, open spaces and the built-up area within the city are depicted in colour. The boundaries of the 'Liberty’ of the Tower of London is similarly depicted in colour ('Liberty', in this sense, means an area of separate jurisdiction to the rest of the city). Finally, the map extends eastward to include the Isle of Dogs and the docks, which were then under construction.
ROWE'S PLAN OF LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, exhibiting the various IMPROVEMENTS, to the Year 1804 with the LONDON and WEST INDIA DOCKS
The title of this map appears along the top, with the table of reference in a panel below the plan and scale bar at bottom right. The map is divided into rectangles for reference and shows the newly built London and West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. Designed by William Jessop, the docks were completed in 1802 allowing West India Company merchants to discharge their ships in four days instead of the usual four weeks.
PLAN OF LONDON AND WESTMINSTER with the Borough of SOUTHWARK Being an INDEX to the Large Plan in forty Sheets
This folding map of London was originally published by Faden in 1818 as an index to Harwood's famous map of Regency London. This is a later edition of the map, issued by Wyld when he took over Faden's publishing business. The title, explanation and scale bar feature at top right. The boundaries of London, Westminster, Southwark, Lambeth, Marylebone, Finsbury and Tower Hamlets are outlined in colour. The map is divided into squares with letters and numbers for reference along the margins for reference, with an interpretive key in panel below the plan.
CRUCHLEY'S NEW PLAN OF LONDON IMPROVED TO 1826 INCLUDING THE EAST AND WEST INDIA DOCKS 223
The title of this folding map of London is inset in top border, with the publisher’s imprint and key to symbols in bottom border, scale bar near bottom right, and compass rose at top right. The river and open spaces are highlighted in colour. The map extends eastward on an added sheet to include the East and West India Docks. Cruchley, who first published the map in 1826, added the proposed Collier Docks in the Isle of Dogs to this later edition. The docks were never built and Millwall Docks now occupy part of the site
Cruchley, George Frederick
London surveyed or a new map of the cities of London and Westminster and the borough of Southwark. ...
from The world described, or, A new and correct sett of maps : shewing the kingdoms and states in all the known parts of the earth, with the principal cities, and most considerable towns in the world ... / ... by Herman Moll, geographer ...
LONDON AND WESTMINSTER 1795
This is the second edition of a map published seven times until 1806. The title is embellished with an engraving of Father Thames, with St Paul's visible in the distance to one side of him. This edition includes an inset plan of the proposed Wet Docks. In 1796, the year this map was published, a Parliamentary Committee attempted to resolve the docking problems such as congestion, delays, lack of warehouse space and theft. The result was a number of project proposals for the building of new docks. However, none of these proposals were carried out, and the problem was not solved until private companies began building enclosed docks in 1802.
PLAN of the CITIES OF LONDON and WESTMINSTER, with the BOROUGH OF SOUTHWARK, exhibiting all the NEW BUILDINGS to the present YEAR MDCCCVI
As the 19th Century progressed, maps were often used as illustrations for general guides to London, for which there was a great demand. This map appeared in Lambert's 'History of London' of 1806. The title appears along the top with the reference table in a panel below the map. The plan extends eastward to include the East India Docks, opened in 1806.
LONDINI ANGLIAE REGNI METROPOLIS 70
The title of this map of London, Westminster and Southwark appears along the top. Figures of cherubs are depicted at top left facing the reference table at top right. The royal and city arms are illustrated at the foot of the plate, with a key to places in Southwark and compass rose at lower left, facing the portraits of King William III and Queen Mary at bottom right. The panorama of the city which features in the panel below the plan is based on Matthaeus Merian’s view published in "Theatrum Europeum" in 1720. Joannes de Ram had already published an identical map of the city. His name was removed from the plan when French mapmaker, engraver and publisher Jacques de la Feuille married de Ram’s widow and took over his publishing business.
Feuille, Jacques de la
LONDINI ANGLIAE REGNI METROPOLIS 71
This map of London, Westminster and Southwark was issued in Peter Van der Aa's "La Galerie Agreable du Monde: Grande Bretagne et Irlande" (Vol. I, Plate 8). It is a later edition of a map first published in Amsterdam byJoannes de Ram at the end of the 17th Century. This edition features title along the top, a key to places in Southwark in cartouche at top left, a reference table at top right, and a bird's-eye view of Westwood Park in Worcestershire at the foot of the plate. The city arms, publisher's imprint, and a monument bearing the title in French appear towards the bottom of the sheet.
Aa, Peter van der
PLAN DE LA VILLE DE LONDRES
This small map of London appeared in a book entitled "Memoires et Observations faites par un Voyageur en Angleterre", published in France by Henry Van Bulderen in 1698. The map is a much-reduced derivative of Joannes de Ram's plan of 1690. This edition features title at top left, city arms at top right and a panorama of London, based on Matthaeus Merian’s view of the city, in a panel below the plan.
Ram, Joannes de
Plan de Londres tel quil Etoit avant l' incendre de 1666 Grave par Hollar
This is a later edition of a 1666map surveyed by Blome and engraved by Hollar. The title appears in French in a panel below the plan, with the key to streets and public buildings appearing in tables at top right, top left and bottom right. A compass star and scale bar are drawn at bottom right. Down both sides of the map are the coats of arms of the 12 Great City Companies (trade guilds), many of which have existed from the middle ages to the present day. Richard Blome was a heraldic writer and cartographer. His maps were often derivative, based on existing sources rather than original surveys.
PLAN of the Cities of LONDON and WESTMINSTER the Borough of SOUTHWARK and PARTS adjoining Shewing every HOUSE. By R. Horwood
Map of London printed in 32 sheets and published sheet by sheet between 1792 and 1799, the work of several engravers working to the direction of the cartographer Richard Horwood. Horwood dedicated this map to the Trustees and Directors of the Phoenix Fire Office, reflecting that the protection of London from fire was at this time the reserve of numerous independent company brigades. This edition features a Phoenix at top left with the word "protection" emblazoned beneath it and is uncoloured in its entirety. The Tower of London is shown only by outline, as Horwood records that "The Internal Parts not distinguished being refused permission to take the Survey", testimony that a surveyor was not always welcome. Industries such as brewing and tanning, unwelcome in the city, are located south of the river in Southwark. Barclay Perkins & Co., the largest brewery in the world during the 1800s, is marked on the map, as is Guy's Hospital (for incurables). At the time of this map, the hospital had recently been extended to include a new ward for "lunatics". This map was re-issued, with additions and alterations, at least four times until 1819.