Maps of Pembrokeshire
Scale: 1 : 31680
Description: This plan of the Cleddau estuary shows the new towns and dockyards at Milford Haven and Pembroke Dock. In 1790, Parliament granted Sir William Hamilton permission to build a new port on the north bank of the Cleddau estuary. Quaker whalers from Nantucket settled in Milford Haven in 1793. Four years later, the Navy Board established a dockyard here to build warships. Near the right margin of the sheet, on the south bank of the Cleddau, the new town of Pembroke Dock is indicated by the letter ''F''. Founded in 1814, and reliant on industry generated by the dockyard, Pembroke Dock flourished as the original New Town of the 19th century.
Contibutor: Budgen, Thomas
Share this map
Looking for Google Maps API Alternative ?