Maps of East Dorset
Description: This drawing represents the relative relief of the landscape by light shading and interlining in pencil. Parallel pecked lines indicate paths across open land. Achling Ditch, a Roman road, runs diagonally across the drawing. To the left of the road is Blandford Race Ground and Telegraph. As well as being a racecourse until the end of the 19th century, Blandford was used as a military training ground by local volunteers from the 18th century onwards. In 1806, a Royal Navy Shutter Telegraph Station was built near the racecourse. The signal station, on the London to Plymouth route, was closed after the Napoleonic War. In the lower section of the map, concentric rings depict the iron-age hillfort of Badbury Rings.
Share this map
Looking for Google Maps API Alternative ?