This drawing shows three separate landmasses on the north coast of Cornwall. The area comprising Trevose Head and the estuary of the River Camel at Padstow is drawn at a scale of 2 inches to the mile, as is the inland region south of Tredinnick and Saint Breok Downs to Roche. The area from Hensbarrow Downs to Luxulyan and Saint Blazey is depicted at the larger scale of 3 inches to the mile. The drawing is attributed to Robert Dawson (1771-1860) who represented relief by shading in short disconnected lines drawn in the direction of the slopes - a technique known as hachuring. Dawson also estimated altitudes in pencil, depicting highpoints of almost 20 metres at Saint Breok Downs. Pencil intersections spread from the upper-left landmass, indicating lines between fixed points used for triangulation. Dirt marks remain where the map was formerly folded in four. Plans were not stored flat between deal boards until the1820s.
South Petherwin, Cornwall
A triangulation diagram covers this whole drawing. This was used to plot the location of significant features around which other topographical details could be added., Trigonometric altitudes are recorded at the summit of inclines, while short disconnected lines are drawn in blue watercolour to represent relief - a technique known as 'hachuring'.,Several archaeological sites are recorded on this drawing, although this did not become obligatory until 1816.,In the lower section of the map to the left of Upton, a darkened triangular point is marked,'Cheese Wring'.,Below this is a stone circle named 'The Hurlers'.,Field boundaries are marked, with darker lines indicating the division between cultivated and uncultivated land.,A table of figures appears in pencil,to the lower right of the drawing.,Sealing wax is apparent on the reverse.,The paper is watermarked W. ELGAR 1796.,
Launceston, Cornwall 1
Once the capital of Cornwall, Launceston is represented here by red blocks, each indicating a stone building., The castle dates from Norman times and was one of the greatest strongholds of the Earls of Cornwall, controlling the main entry route into the county., The road leading to Trevadlack Cross is physically,marked on the map,by a series of pin-holes., This means the draughtsman used measuring dividers to plot the exact course of the road., Recording archaeological sites did not become obligatory until 1816, but,many draughtsmen included them before then,out of personal interest., Here,,a set of concentric circles at the top of the map represents such a site, called,'Giant's Grave'.,