Map of Shropshire f.93
This is a manuscript map of Shropshire, one of four in the same style and hand. Its most interesting feature is the castle shown at Clun, which dominates the town. Other topographical features are limited to hills and trees, giving a general impression of the relief of the land and its coverage. It forms part of an atlas that belonged to William Cecil Lord Burghley, Elizabeth I's Secretary of State. Burghley used this atlas to illustrate domestic matters. Here Lord Burghley has added a place name adjacent the river, near to Lent Warden. Burghley was primarily interested in communication routes, an essential feature in any defence program for an area. Rivers were the most important of these communication routes as travel by water was often the fastest. Therefore a good knowledge of the locations along a particular river was essential for navigation and ultimately for the defence of the area. William Cecil, Lord Burghley
1 : 31680 The drawing of this,plan was,begun in 1817 and completed in 1827.,,Because of,many erasures and corrections, the drawing is cracked and dirty, and therefore hard to read. An area calculation table survives in black ink,in the,bottom left margin. Stevens, Henry
Part of Shropshire containing 126 square miles. Surveyed and Drawn by H. Stevens R. M. D. 1816''
1 : 31680 .This is the first map to conform fully to the 1816 Ordnance Survey Circular, which stated that every plan was to,have an area title, survey and drawing date,,and a note of,its author's,name and rank.,The,map shows,a section of Offa's Dyke, the great earth bank running 176 miles along or near the English border from the North Wales coast south to Chepstow., Offa's Dyke is eight miles longer than Hadrian's Wall but, because it was not a stone construction, was never garrisoned., Its purpose was to mark rathen than defend the frontier. Stevens, Henry
1 : 31680 This drawing is formally titled. The scale of the drawing isgiven and the area of the land noted as 145.9838 square miles., A triangulation diagram appears on the reverse of the manuscript., This enabled draughtsmen to plot the exact location of topographical features., Archaeological sites are named in gothic script., Colour washes are combined with numerical annotations to indicate the relative relief and overall height of hills. Dawson, Robert