Map of the Island of Jamaica
Map of the Island of Jamaica, prepared for the Jamaica Handbook, under the direction of Thomas Harrison, Govt. Surveyor, by Colin Liddell, 1895. Scale of statute miles, 34[ = 130 mm]
Kingston, Jamaica : Government Printing Office
A Plan Of The Harbours And Towns Of Kingston And Port Royal In The Island Of Jamaica And Of Their Environs
Plan of the harbours and towns of Kingston and Port Royal in Jamaica as they were in 1815. The complete harbour consists of almost landlocked area approximately 10 miles long and 2 miles wide. The surveyor, Nathaniel Watts, has coloured settlements in pink, and has marked in fathoms the different depths of the harbour. In the late 17th century Port Royal had been a large, economically prosperous town and was the central trading post in the Caribbean. However it was largely destroyed by an earthquake in 1692, leading to the founding of Kingston the following year. Kingston (which took over from Spanish Town as the capital of the island in 1872) was more difficult for vessels to reach as it was further inland and had more shallow waters. It was built on land owned by Sir William Beeston, who sold it to the Council of Jamaica for £1,000. John Goffe was employed to survey the land and he was responsible for laying it out in its regular rectangularrectilinear patternrectangular formation.
Watts, Nathanial. Cartographer.
Plan Of Port Royal Jamaica, As It Stood Previous To The Earthquake
Plan of Port Royal as it was before the devastating earthquake of 1692. In the late 17th century Port Royal was a large and economically prosperous town due to its central location and deep harbour which attracted trade from across the Caribbean islands. When the earthquake struck, 33 acres of land sank into the harbour, killing a third1 in 3 of the population - about 2000 people. In the following days there were further minor shocks and it is estimated that between 1000 ? 3000 more people died from injuries and disease. The map is coloured to clearly reveal the extent of the destruction. Areas of red and yellow shading show what was left of the town after the earthquake, the blue depicts land reclaimed from the sea, and white is used to show areas that were completely destroyed.