The border between Devon and Cornwall is shown running along the River Tamer from Horse Bridge to New Bridge., Mining is evident around Peter Tavy to the central right of the picture, while Mill Hill Slate Quarry is prominent in the middle of the region., There are more quarries just above Sampford Spiny, to the bottom right of the map., At the topmost point is Brent Tor, with the Church of St Michael enclosed by a red boundary signifying a stone wall., Authorship is unconfirmed.
Dartmoor Prison, Devon
Her Majesty's Prison at Dartmoor in Devon was built in 1802 for French captives. It appears at the top left of this drawing, alongside the words 'Prison of War'. The map is not conventionally orientated with north at the top. A turnpike road running from Moretonhampstead to Randlestown, coloured yellow, forms the upper boundary. The mileage from Moretonhampstead is noted along its route. This map follows the military practice of showing stone and brick structures in red or brown, and those built from less permanent materials, such as wood, in black or sepia. Individual stones are drawn in brown ink at the numerous 'tor' (hill) sites in this section of Dartmoor Forest. Hamilton Beacon ('Hameldown Beacon') is a pinprick mark surrounded by a pencil circle on Hamilton Down ('Hamel Down'). This may have been used as an observation or triangulation station. Hewitt, John
Draughtsmen used the colour red to indicate stone, so the unbroken red line around Huntingdon Warren in the centre of the,map means that it was enclosed by a stone wall., Field boundaries are also shown, with those in red again representing stone walls., Notably, the draughtsman has drawn pecked red lines on this map, most obviously at Yealm River in the central left area., These may have represented stone circles., Place names are truncated where the margins of the manuscript have been trimmed. Dawson, Robert
A coloured chart of Plymouth Harbour, and of the country up to Tavistock; drawn possibly by Robert Spry
This is a map of Plymouth and environs and is a 16th century copy of an original map dating from 1591 by Robert Spry. Spry is recorded as a painter in municipal records between 1569-70 and 1591-2. The map is drawn in a somewhat archaic pictorial style with topographical details drawn in perspective. Great detail has been observed in the depiction of churches and country houses and three beacons, the means of alerting the surrounding area, are recorded. The anchorages of the Sound are marked by drawings of ships. The map shows the conduit or leat that was constructed by Sir Francis Drake in 1590-1 in order to provide a water-supply for the town from Dartmoor. In connection with his leat, Drake had been granted a lease of the six town mills in 1583. The leat was designed for the watering of ships and to power the mills and played a central role in Drake’s hopeful project to make Plymouth a powerful naval station. Although popular local tradition suggested that Drake had employed magic in order to effect the construction of the leat which passed through "mighti rockes which was thought unpossible to carrie water through", it was in fact the work of the Plymouth engineers Robert Lampen and his brother. Figures along the course of the leat, from the River Meavy to Plymouth record miles. A section that is likely to have contained an explanatory table has been removed, resulting in the maps irregular shape. Spry, Robert
Draughtsmen would sometimes rotate the area they were mapping to fit in to the available paper. Hence, this map is not orientated with north at the top. Earthworks around Ashburton and Ashburton Down, near the bottom of the drawing, are depicted by short, open, circular strokes ('hachures') in black. Around Holne Chase, to the left of the picture, feathered arrows describe the flow of the River Dart beyond two points of confluence. Dawson, Robert