Map of Shropshire f. 75*
This is a manuscript map of Shropshire. It forms part of an atlat which belonged to Lord Burghley, Secretary of State to Elizabeth I, who used it to illustrate domestic matters. It shows only the principal towns, distinguishing between those with a castle and those without by means of a symbol of two connected towers with crenellations. The River Severn, marked Sabrina F, is charted. Lord Burghley has added a name adjacent to a place where the river is bridged. Lord Burghley was concerned with communication routes as revealed by his annotation. The draughtsman has indicated relief by hill symbols in two places. The map features a scale bar, but this is partly obscured by damage to the map.
Map of Shropshire f.93
This is a manuscript map of Shropshire, one of four in the same style and hand. Its most interesting feature is the castle shown at Clun, which dominates the town. Other topographical features are limited to hills and trees, giving a general impression of the relief of the land and its coverage. It forms part of an atlas that belonged to William Cecil Lord Burghley, Elizabeth I's Secretary of State. Burghley used this atlas to illustrate domestic matters. Here Lord Burghley has added a place name adjacent the river, near to Lent Warden. Burghley was primarily interested in communication routes, an essential feature in any defence program for an area. Rivers were the most important of these communication routes as travel by water was often the fastest. Therefore a good knowledge of the locations along a particular river was essential for navigation and ultimately for the defence of the area. William Cecil, Lord Burghley
1 : 31680 This plan,of,part of East Shropshire is dominated by Wenlock Edge., Running from the bottom left of the drawing to the top right, this,heavily,wooded,limestone ridge,extends for 16 miles across Shropshire.,,It shelves steeply into the patchwork fields of Ape Dale on its,western face, and,slopes gently into the Corve Dale to the east., The remains of the ancient Long Forest are also noted. Stevens, Henry
1 : 31680 The drawing of this,plan was,begun in 1817 and completed in 1827.,,Because of,many erasures and corrections, the drawing is cracked and dirty, and therefore hard to read. An area calculation table survives in black ink,in the,bottom left margin. Stevens, Henry
1 : 31680 The two smooth humps of Brown Clee Hill dominate the landscape east of Ludlow. With its summit rising to 1,772 ft, Brown Clee is the highest point in Shropshire and was,an iron-age settlement, hosting three hillforts.,Below Brown Clee, the plan shows another isolated hill fort at Titterstone Clee.,At an altitude of,1,750 ft,,this fort is one of the highest and largest in Britain. , Stevens, Henry
Part of Shropshire containing 126 square miles. Surveyed and Drawn by H. Stevens R. M. D. 1816''
1 : 31680 .This is the first map to conform fully to the 1816 Ordnance Survey Circular, which stated that every plan was to,have an area title, survey and drawing date,,and a note of,its author's,name and rank.,The,map shows,a section of Offa's Dyke, the great earth bank running 176 miles along or near the English border from the North Wales coast south to Chepstow., Offa's Dyke is eight miles longer than Hadrian's Wall but, because it was not a stone construction, was never garrisoned., Its purpose was to mark rathen than defend the frontier. Stevens, Henry
1 : 31680 This plan covers the Shropshire,Northern Plain, near the border with Cheshire and Staffordshire. The area,is characterised by small woodlands, formal parkland, meres (lakes), mosses, pools and other wetland habitats. Mills are indicated near the town of Market Drayton, central towards the top,,where about two hundred workers were employed in the manufacture of horse-hair products. Stevens, Henry
1 : 31680 This plan covers East Shropshire and Staffordshire. Across the plan, highlighted in yellow, is the toll road to Shrewsbury, built on a Roman road, the Watling Street. Along the road is Weston House and Park. Originally part of a medieval deer forest, the park was landscaped in the 18th century by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown - so-called because he was in the habit of telling prospective clients that their gardens had "great capabilities." With his followers, Brown dominated parkland design in the 18th century, creating the modern English parkland view with extensive sweeps of grass, groups of trees, lakes and planned vistas. At lower left is the Wrekin, a hill standing 1,334 ft hill above the Severn plain. It is formed by some of the oldest rocks in Britain: lava, ashes and debris thrown up from a volcanic cleft 900m years ago. Dawson, Robert
1 : 31680 This plan covers East Shropshire and part of Staffordshire, with the River Severn Valley depicted down the left side of the sheet. Here, in its middle course, the river becomes deeper and wider, forming a floodplain in which crops such as wheat and barley are grown. Down the right side of the plan is a section of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal, built by the canal engineer, James Brindley as part of his 'Grand Cross', a farsighted scheme to link the ports of Hull, Liverpool and Bristol by connecting the rivers Mersey, Trent and Severn. The canal opened in May 1772. Ironbridge on the Severn at the top left of the plan is said to be the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution. This tiny town gave the world its first iron bridge in 1779. Dawson, Robert