Hyde Park Corner showing the Piccadilly Turnpike
This section of drawing shows the Piccadilly Turnpike at Hype Park Corner, the terminus of one of the ancient highways leading into London. A weighing engine is shown in red ink, indicating that tolls were increased depending on the weight of the vehicle and load. The meticulous nature of these drawings is revealed by the numbered lamp posts, each drawn with a shadow. Private gardens are shown in plan form, revealing the formal designs of lawns and cobblestone paths. St George's Hospital, located opposite the park, was founded in 1733 by a group of Governors from Westminster Hospital who chose Lanesborough House as the building to house their new hospital. Knightsbridge had a reputation for healthiness and they wanted their patients to benefit from the country air. Salway, Joseph
Plan of a LEASEHOLD ESTATE Situate at Pimlico IN THE COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX belonging to ... 1825
1 : 2400 This is a plan of the leasehold of Earl Grosvenor,later Marquis of Westminster, in Belgrave Square. Earl Grosvenor was granted permission by Parliament to develop the ten acre site in 1826, and commisioned the young architect George Basevi, a pupil of John Soane's, to design the square. Grosvenor's name has been smudged from the title at top right.
MILITARY SKETCH OF HYDE PARK
This plan shows the barracks along Knightsbridge erected for the Horse Guard at the end of the 18th century. The title appears at lower left, below the scale bar. At over 340 acres the largest of the royal parks, Hyde Park was originally a hunting ground for deer, boars and wild bull. Bequeathed to the monks of Westminster after the conquest of Geoffrey de Mandeville in the 1140s, the park was appropriated by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The park was opened to e public at the beginning of the 17th century and remained a deer-hunting ground until 1768. Baker, B.
PLAN OF HYDE PARK as it was in 1725
1 : 792 This retrospective plan of Hyde Park was produced from an earlier plan held in the Vestry Room in St George's Church, Hanover Square. Its title features at top right, with the scale bar at top left. At over 340 acres of land the largest of all the royal parks, Hyde Park was originally a hunting ground for deer, boars and wild bull. Bequeathed to the monks of Westminster after the conquest of Geoffrey de Mandeville in the 1140s, the park was appropriated by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The park was opened to the public at the beginning of the 17th century, and remained a deer hunting ground until 1768. Neele
Insurance Plan of London: General Key Plan
1 : 4800 This "key plan" indicates coverage of the Goad 1889 series of fire insurance maps of London that were originally produced to aid insurance companies in assessing fire risks. The building footprints, their use (commercial, residential, educational, etc.), the number of floors and the height of the building, as well as construction materials (and thus risk of burning) and special fire hazards (chemicals, kilns, ovens) were documented in order to estimate premiums. Names of individual businesses, property lines, and addresses were also often recorded. Together these maps provide a rich historical shapshot of the commercial activity and urban landscape of towns and cities at the time.
The British Library holds a comprehensive collection of fire insurance plans produced by the London-based firm Charles E. Goad Ltd. dating back to 1885. These plans were made for most important towns and cities of the British Isles at the scales of 1:480 (1 inch to 40 feet), as well as many foreign towns at 1:600 (1 inch to 50 feet). Chas E Goad Limited Chas E Goad Limited
ST. GEORGE'S PARISH, HANOVER SQUARE.
1 : 8448 This plan of the Parish of St George is surrounded by views of St George's church, Knightsbridge chapel, Conduit Street chapel, Chelsea chapel, Audley Street chapel and Berkeley chapel, the whole set within a decorative border. The title and imprint appear at the foot of the plate. The Parish of St George was created in 1725 and covered an area previously in the Parish of St. Martin-in-the-Fields that stretched from Regent Street (then called Swallow Street) to the Serpentine, and from Oxford Street to Mayfair, Belgravia and Pimlico. Bickham, J.
1 : 3960 The title and compass star of this plan appear at middle left, with them scale bar at bottom right. At over 340 acres the largest of all the royal parks, Hyde Park was originally a hunting ground for deer, boars and wild bull. Bequeathed to the monks of Westminster after the conquest of Geoffrey de Mandeville in the 1140s, the park was appropriated by Henry VIII at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The park was opened to the public at the beginning of the 17th century, and remained a deer hunting ground until 1768. Bennett, S.
A New and Exact Plan of the City of LONDON and Suburbs thereof, With the addition of the New Buildings, Churches &c. to this present Year 1720 (Not extant in any other)
1 : 6336 This map of the West End of London is part of Henry Overton's complete map of London and its suburbs, published in 1720.The title and publisher's imprint appear in cartouche in the centre, with fares of hackney coaches and an overall key at bottom left. The compass rose appears in the river, with parish boundaries outlined in colour. Henry Overton took over his father John's publishing business in 1707 and continued to publish maps from the same address at White Horse near Newgate. Overton, Henry
FORD'S ILLUSTRATED MEMORIAL OF THE GRAND INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION OF ALL NATIONS, HYDE PARK, LONDON 1851
This pictorial map commemorates the Great Exhibition of 1851, conceived by Henry Cole and presided over by Prince Albert. Theexhibition was held in the Crystal Palace. Designed by Joseph Paxton, it showcased exhibits from all over the world, including the largest pearl ever found, a knife with 300 blades, and the Koh-i-Noor diamond. The exhibition was opened by Queen Victoria in May 1851. She remained a frequent visitor, as did the Duke of Wellington. Only main roads in the capital are shown on this map and London locations are marked by small medallions containing scenes. Borders of roundels contain people from "all nations". Queen Victoria and Albert flank a view of the Crystal Palace, which was removed from Hyde Park in 1852andrebuilt at Sydenham. Simpson Ford, William
MAP of the GROSVENOR ESTATE (tinted pink) as it was in the Year 1723. with the intended Streets about Grosvenor Square.
1 : 5592 The title of this plan features at top right, with compass star at middle right and explanatory note at bottom right. The boundaries of the St George parish are outlined in red, with the properties in the estate in pink, and parks and open spaces in green. The plan shows the proposed new street plans for Grosvenor Square, but not the Chelsea waterworks,which featured in the original drawing from which this print was produced.
A New PLAN of the CITY and LIBERTY of WESTMINSTER, Exhibiting all the New Streets & Roads, with the Residences of the Principal Nobility, Public Offices, &c. Not extant in any other Plan.
This map is by Thomas Jeffreys, an exceptional cartographer and publisher whose productions, including maps of North America, are considered to be among the finest of his age. This map shows the new developments in Westminster by use of a colour coding system indicating varying stages of completion. Portman Square (W1), a contemporary development, was begun the year before this map was published. It was built between 1764 and 84 for the landlord Henry William Portman on what was then considered the outskirts of town. Thomas Jeffreys
A NEW Mapp of the CITY of LONDON &c. With the Many additional Buildings and New Streets Anno 1720 In a Playne Method for Easy finding any street at first View
This is a later edition of a map first published in 1716. The title appears along the top, with a key to churches at top left, alongside coats of arms representing the City and the twelve Great Livery Companies. The key to individual city wards appears at top right. At bottom left are a compass rose, scale bar and the key to public buildings. Rates of hackney coaches and water ferries appear in a table at bottom centre. The map is similar to Overton’s map of 1706, showing St. Paul's and other prominent buildings pictorially. Taylor, Thomas
A New and Correct PLAN of LONDON, WESTMINSTER and SOUTHWARK, with several Additional Improvements, not in any former Survey
The title of this map appears in a square table at bottom right with the publisher’s imprint and scale bar below the plan. The writer, poet and dramatist Robert Dodsley and his brother, the print- and book-seller James, were business partners and issued this map from their shop in Pall Mall in 1761. Dodsley, Robert & James